Campus Celebrity: Lucy Wallace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This week’s campus celeb, Lucy Wallace, seems to do a little bit of everything. From PICA, to squash and the Vagina Monologues, Lucy is definitely involved around campus in lots of diverse ways. Her Campus caught up with Lucy to talk about the importance of her interests at Conn and to learn about a documentary project she is helping to promote right now.

Name: Lucy Wallace 
Major: International Relations, Hispanic Studies minor
Class year: 2013 
Hometown: Cold Spring Harbor, NY 

Extracurricular Activities: Squash, Student Advisory Board for the Government Department, Holleran Center Student Fellow, Volunteer assistant teacher at Jennings Elementary School, The Vagina Monologues 

How did you get involved with Vagina Monologues? I started doing the Vagina Monologues my sophmore year. After seeing two of my best friends, Lizzie Kaplan and Gina Deitz do it the year before, I was amazed by the show and by how much it impacted them. My junior year I chaired fundraising, and then this year I was lucky enough to produce it.    

What is your favorite moment from Vagina Monologues this year? For me, the best part of the show is when we do dedications before we go on stage. We open the floor up to the cast to dedicate the show to a person, experience, feeling that made them want to do the show or pushed them to continue to be in the show. They can be sad, serious, funny and heartwarming, and they are all powerful messages. It shows how important this show is to so many women as well as the range of experiences we have all had being women. 

What is Girl Rising? How did you come to be involved with this project? When is the screening and how can Conn students be involved?  Girl Rising is the feature documentary that is a part of the 10×10 global action campaign for girls’ education. The movie uses the power of storytelling to convey the simple and important message – educate girls and you will change the world. The move follows nine incredible and strong women and their fight to receive an education. To check out the trailer go to – http://10x10act.org/girl-rising/
I got involved when I was interning this summer at The Documentary Group, which is the company producing the film. While I was working on other projects, I was drawn to the incredible work 10×10 is doing. I cannot take any credit for working on the film, but I helped out with promoting and spreading work about the film, working mostly on campus outreach. Right now, I am working on getting a screening of the film on the Conn Campus. With help from Darcie Folsom, and Bettina Weiss (shout out to Her Campus Conn!), we are hoping to fundraise enough money to have a screening of the film in April. So, everyone look out for info, facebook events and posters about the event! 

What kind of work do you do as part of your involvement with PICA?  As a PICA student, I have focused by academic work on the role of media in times of conflict. Media has a huge influence on Public Policy, particularly in times of conflict. Photography is particular is used as a means of understanding impending situations, thus it is important to understand where they come from, the stories behind them and how they are framed. Right now, I am working on an Independent Study with Professor Borer of the Government department regarding the role of photography in the War on Terror. 

Her Campus Conn Coll