Campus Celebrity: Lindsay Paiva

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This year, Connecticut College was awarded nine Fulbrights. This week we are featuring one of the recipients as Campus Celebrity. Senior, Lindsay Paiva, has made herself known on campus for her community activism and her experiences in Italy.

Major: English, elementary education certification, PICA
Minor: Italian Studies
Hometown: Coventry, RI
Dorm/Apt: Winchester

What inspired you to apply for a Fulbright?
I was inspired to apply for a Fulbright after my semester abroad in Perugia. I taught English at a local high school for the semester, and I studied their education system in a seminar class there as well. When I found out about the Tuscan approach, a model of lifelong learning, I was interested in finding out more, and how its goals align culturally with the Italian lifestyle.

Has your experience in PICA influenced the way you look at international issues?
PICA has really helped me to sharpen my analytical and writing skills, and has also taught me to think about policy in a context. I have learned that a policy that looks fantastic on paper might not work so well on the ground, and that is what I hope to investigate in my study of the Tuscan approach.

Where will you be living in Italy?
I will be living in Florence for most of the nine months, and traveling around Tuscany to interview.

What has been your favorite class at Conn? Who is your favorite professor?
I would say that my favorite class was my senior seminar in English on Toni Morrison. I’m not sure that I have a favorite professor.

While studying abroad, what was your favorite experience?
My favorite experience was connecting with Italians in the daily shuffle: in a cafe, on the steps of the Duomo, in “line” at the post office.

What is your favorite place in Italy?
My favorite place in Italy is the top of Monte Subasio because you can see half of Umbria.

Where do you hope to be in ten years?
I hope to be working for a liberal policy think tank working on education policy analysis and generation. 

Katherine is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in European history and minoring in film studies. She spent her last semester abroad in Rome and loved it, and then interned this summer at Marie Claire magazine in New York City. Katherine is very excited to be joining the Her Campus team!