Campus Celebrity: Gabriela Lopez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Gabriela Lopez! Whether it’s working in admissions, dancing in Eclipse, or conducting neuroscience research, this awesome senior seems to be doing it all! We sat down with Gabriela to hear all about her experiences on campus here at Conn.

Class year: Senior

Major: Behavioral Neuroscience

Hometown: Bronx, New York

You’re very active in the Behavioral Neuroscience department. Can you tell us about some of the research you’ve done?

I’ve been part of Dr. Schroeder’s research group since my sophomore year. In my junior year, I began doing some research on my own. The basis of my research is looking at the theory of food addiction and how foods with high sugar and fat content can have similar qualities as highly addictive drugs. Through this research, we look at how addiction to these kinds of food connects to the overall process of human addiction and possibly contributes to obesity.

What kinds of extracurricular activities do you do on Campus?

I’m part of Eclipse and am currently in two pieces. I’m in a samba piece as well as a hip-hop piece choreographed by Miles Keeney. It’s something I’ve done every year since I was a freshman and I choreographed one year as well. I’ve also done a lot of work with Habitat for Humanity. It’s difficult since I’m so busy with my independent study, but I love helping others and allowing them to find and create their own homes.

You’re also very involved in CELS and the admissions office. Can you tell us a bit about that?

Being a CELS fellow is the best. The office is amazing and I love everyone who works there. I wish I had applied as a sophomore because it’s been such an awesome experience being a part of our office. I’m also a tour guide and am also currently an admission fellow. This past year  I interviewed over 20 prospective students for the class of 2019. It was cool because you get to contribute to the whole admissions process. I also love that my job in admissions overlaps with my position as a CELS fellow. In CELS you’re working a lot with first-year students about how to find all that CELS can do both in and out of Conn while in admissions you’re working with students to get in. It’s cool being a part of all stages of the process.

What the best class you’ve taken at Conn?

That’s hard- I love them all! I think the best one was the Behavioral Neuroscience class I took last year with Professor Schroeder. He is my advisor and it was awesome because I had always loved neuroscience and that course really allowed me to jump into the subject. We went to Yale university and went to see an exhibit about the brain. We were also able to take everything we learned and apply it by teaching day school students as part of our final project. We had to pick a subject we had studied and teacher some local third and fourth graders the material. My partner and I chose to do a lesson on vision and the eye and did a dissection with our students. It was cool because I think the best way to really know something is to teach it. It was also awesome to get to show kids how awesome science is, which so many young students don’t always realize.

Do you know what you’re doing after graduation?

Yes! Right now I’ve been applying to different medical school laboratories to be a research assistant in order to expose myself more to the lab environment. Since I was so focused on medical school here, I want more time in the lab. Down the road I’m hoping to apply to grad school and eventually get a P.h.d in some area of neuroscience.

Is there anything you still have left to cross off your Conn bucket list?

I haven’t swam in the athletic center pool. I’ve been waiting for so long — I just have to do it! I also haven’t explored the other side of the arboretum where the Winchester apartments are. I think that would be a really cool area to explore. I’d also love to explore the running trails around the athletic center. I think the pool would have to be winner though. I really need to get to that!

Do you have a favorite place on campus?

My room is my ultimate favorite place on campus. But my second choice would have to be Bill Hall since I’ve spent so much time there. It’s a little creepy, but I’ve gotten used to it with all the time I’ve spent there doing work.

How do you make Harris gourmet?

You have to network with the people who work there. They will share with you some foods they make at home and always have great advice! Also, you can ask them for extra ingredients to add to your food. For example, I love cajun fries and if you ask them nicely they’ll always add a few spices. Even in Harris networking is so important!

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity?

It’s strange. I was really surprised at first, but I’m flattered. I want to know who nominated me!

Her Campus Conn Coll