Campus Celebrity: Doug Wright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

If you don’t know about Doug, you have literally been living under a rock. This track star pulls out all the right moves on and off the trails.  He recently has won several track awards for his speed and endurance. I have had the pleasure of knowing Doug since freshman year and his funny yet serious personality and his motivation to keep running even through thunderstorms makes him this week’s Campus Celeb. 

Hometown: Darien, Connecticut
Major: European History
Dorm/Apt: River Ridge

How is senior year going with track? Do you think this is your best season?
So far this season has been going well. At the beginning I was recovering from viral bronchitis that I suffered from during the indoor season, but I have fully recovered and I believe I have the potential to run my best times this year.

What got you interested in running?
In middle school I was a mediocre lacrosse and tennis player, and I also did sailing, but I never took any of these sports seriously and did not commit much time to them. However, during the 8th grade mile fitness test I ran 5:06, a school record, and from that moment on I was destined to be a competitive distance runner.

What do you like the most about competing competitively in track/cross country?
I personally love distance running and when I achieve my goals it is truly a great feeling, especially since setting personal bests is very difficult. Also, I enjoy running high mileage to get in great shape, typically 85-90 miles a week.

Who or what motivates you the most to run your best?
Track and cross country are highly self-motivating sports and I personally am motivated by wanting to see how fast I can possibly run. It also feels great achieving your goal times.

Aside from track, what are your other interests?
My other interests include traveling, hiking, tennis, skiing, and spending time with friends and family.

What has been your favorite class? Who is your favorite professor?
No doubt experimental dance was my favorite class. Learning how to do contact improvisation was very fun. My favorite professor would either be my advisor, Fred Paxton, or my Spanish teacher, Luis Gonzalez. Both are incredibly knowledgeable on their respective subjects and are great teachers.

What will you miss most about Conn after graduating?
Definitely not having all my friends around me all the time and not being in Eastern Connecticut.

What is your favorite meal at Harris?
Probably burger bar night or stir-fry night.

Are you excited for Fishbowl? Do you think you will run the fastest?
Can’t wait for fishbowl. Hopefully I’ll be up near the front, but I may have some competition from my other senior teammates. 

Katherine is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in European history and minoring in film studies. She spent her last semester abroad in Rome and loved it, and then interned this summer at Marie Claire magazine in New York City. Katherine is very excited to be joining the Her Campus team!