Campus Celebrities: Gracie Pearlman & Ellie Nan Storck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

They say all good things come to an end, however, some great things keep on going! Shelby Greely and Kira Turnbull, editors and founders of Connecticut College’s first fashion magazine theLOOK are ready to go into the real world when they graduate in May. As the year comes to an end, they made sure that the magazine will remain in great hands with the fabulous Gracie Pearlman & Ellie Nan Storck! 

Gracie Pearlman
Year: 2014
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Major: History and American Studies

Ellie Nan Owens Storck
Year: 2015
Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland
Major: English

What has your experience as a member of theLOOK been like?

Gracie: I have been Fashion Director of theLOOK since it started my sophomore year, and it’s been really cool to see the transformations we’ve made throughout the years. Out photo shoots have gotten bigger, our styling and makeup has gotten more professional, and I think we’ve done a good job of incorporating a variety of groups on campus as the issues progress.

Ellie: My experience on theLOOK has been great, and definitely a learning experience. Being involved in a school publication has been a big part of my life since my freshman year of high school. I always did newspaper though, so switching to a magazine was an exciting change and I’ve learned a lot. It’s opened up some new opportunities for creativity, and I love how photography-focused the magazine is. I also love how the Look has expanded in so many ways with social media, like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, in addition to the magazine website. It’s been a really fun experience so far, it’s definitely a wonderful creative outlet to have at school.

How do you feel about being named as editors of theLOOK magazine next year?

Gracie: I’m really excited and nervous! It’s a big responsibility, but I think everyone’s really excited to try new things and expand our reach on campus.

Ellie: I’m thrilled about being an editor with Gracie next year. I’m so happy that the staff selected us and trusted us to hold the position. I think next year will be a lot of work but really exciting! Working closely with Kira and Shelby and all the other senior editors has really helped me get an idea of what I can expect.

What do you think will be your biggest struggle as the new editors of the magazine?

Gracie: My biggest struggle will be becoming proficient in Illustrator and InDesign, the programs we use to create the issues. I would love to become proficient so I can easily make changes, edits, and create ideas for the styling of the issues. I think it’s also always a struggle when organizations go through times of transition, so it will be a different vibe with new leaders, but change is always good.

Ellie: I’ll be in Spain for the first semester of next year, so that will probably be a bit of a struggle as new editors. Editing from abroad will be interesting, and it might be frustrating at times to not be there to do the hands-on stuff but I hope to use my experience in Europe to my advantage in terms of contributing to the magazine, and I completely trust that Gracie and I will communicate to pull each issue together…we’ll make the long-distance thing work!

Are you planning on making any changes or additions to the magazine next year?

Gracie: I think it’s really important to have more diversity in both our photo shoots and articles: we need to be able to include all different kinds of people that our campus attracts. I think it’s also hard to get male participation, but something so integral. Guys on this campus definitely have an affinity for fashion and style, and I would LOVE for male contributors and models (hint hint guys**)

Ellie: I would love to see the magazine do some more art features, I think we have a lot of really artistically talented students on campus and I’d love to feature more exhibitions in Cummings next year. I’d also like to add in more health and exercise features, to emphasize the lifestyle aspect of the magazine. Printing an issue or two is always a goal if the funding can be obtained!

What is your background in fashion?

Gracie: My parents co-owned a clothing store together, M.L. Lawrence & Co. for 25 years, and so ever since I was born I was surrounded by fashion. I would always help my mom style the mannequins and window displays, so I guess I got it from them. Other than that, I love the red carpet of award shows and dream of wearing the gowns they do!

Ellie: I don’t really have much background in fashion other than having an big interest in it my whole life. I worked in a small boutique in my hometown for about three years, so I’ve had some hands-on experience. The summer before college I interned for a food and wedding magazine, so I had a little experience with fashion publication there. Most of my experience has come from being involved with theLOOK, starting last year as a freshman. It’s been a great experience to learn how to reach out to vendors and boutiques to use clothing for shoots, how to run casting calls and find models, how to brainstorm as a team for photo shoot ideas and themes for each issue…most of my experience has come from the magazine, I have all of the editors to thank for a lot of what I’ve learned.

What will you miss the most about, the current editors, Shelby and Kira?

Gracie:  I’ll definitely miss their leadership and drive—It was those two who created theLOOK from scratch! They have been amazing at getting everything off the ground, organized, and actually completed; it’s really impressive when you think about how this came directly from those two.

Ellie: I’ll really miss how open Shelby and Kira both are to all of the ideas that everybody on staff has to offer. Both of the girls have been so welcoming to everyone–I remember how intimidated I was as a freshman to email them asking how to get involved, and they were so friendly and made sure I felt right at home. Shelby and Kira will definitely be very missed, they’ve been so much fun and have passed on a lot of useful knowledge about fashion and publication to the staff! They were also very adamant about coffee-runs and providing donuts at early-morning photo shoots…so I’ll miss that too.

What has been your greatest memory of being part of theLOOK?

Gracie: My greatest memory would have to be my interview with Professor Downs. I was a sophomore, he taught my American Studies class, and he was extremely fashionable. I interviewed him on his personal style, where he got it from, and he modeled in front of my entire class. It was an interview that really showed his personality but also was credible—and it hilarious and so fun.

Ellie: My favorite memory from the magazine is probably the first time I did layout my freshman year. I basically lived on the first floor of the library for like three days straight with Kira, Bella Boutet and Ari Holden while we worked on the magazine, and it seemed like a never-ending process but we had a lot of fun and I learned so much during that time. 

Favorite magazine?
Gracie: Vogue
Ellie: theLOOK! Or Vogue

Favorite designer?
Gracie: I can’t really decide, but my favorite right now is Paul Smith, Zac Posen and Alexander McQueen.
Ellie: It’s a three-way tie between Stella McCartney, Marc Jacobs and Chloé

Favorite book?
Gracie: I don’t read enough, but The Glass Castle.
Ellie: Catcher in the Rye

What do you see yourself doing after Conn?
Gracie: First I want to try to travel after graduation with friends, then hopefully making lots of money doing what I love… which I don’t really know what that is so I have no idea and I’m petrified!

Ellie: I’m honestly not sure, I definitely do not have it figured out yet. I’d love to teach English as a second language in a foreign country, or edit for a publication. Print journalism is tough nowadays, but I’d love to give it a try. Who knows.

Her Campus Conn Coll