Campus Celebrities: Ethan Underhill and Winslow Crane-Murdoch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet Ethan Underhill and Winslow Crane-Murdoch.  You might recognize Ethan from CoCo Beaux and Winslow from the soccer field, but this coming Saturday, they will be conducting their first TED Talk at the TedxConnecticutCollege event. Check out this interview to see what their projects are all about and how they’ve been preparing! 

Ethan Underhill
Year:  2015
Hometown: Merrimack, New Hampshire
Major: Government, Religious Studies

Winslow Crane-Murdoch
Year: 2013
Hometown: Brunswick, New York
Major: International Relations

How did you become interested in the topic that your TED talk is about?

Ethan: I’ve been interested in politics since I was a little kid. We take politics seriously where I come from because the first presidential primary election takes place in my home state of New Hampshire. It’s a pretty moderate state, and as the years have gone by I’ve realized how many factors go into any person’s final decision on whom they’re going to vote for. One of those factors is religion. Despite how much we love to talk about the “separation of Church and State” in this country, a politician’s religion (or lack thereof) is oftentimes just as important to any given voter as tax plans or foreign policy. This study about the “Nones” made me realize that some people are relying less on religion to define their political views.

Winslow: I became interested in my topic after studying abroad in South Africa.  The last month of my trip I made a film about the South African Homeless Street Soccer organization.  My talk is about a young man I met through this process and how his story influenced my passion for filmmaking and storytelling.

How have you prepared for your TED talk?

Ethan: The majority of my talk is based off of a paper I wrote last semester for Professor Gallagher’s class, Religion in the United States (if you haven’t taken a class with him yet, do so before you graduate). I wrote a script of what exactly I want to say, but I’m not going to get onstage and read a speech. I’m really hoping to connect with the audience on this one.

Winslow: I wrote my talk out first and now I’m just trying to memorize it.  I also watched a lot of talks online to see how the best did it.

How has the process been so far as to preparing for the TED talk?

Ethan: It’s difficult! As student speakers, Winslow and I are given 10 minutes, and we both want to say a lot in those 10 minutes. One of the best things about TED talks, though, is that there are challenges for both the speaker and the audience. The speaker has to boil complex ideas down so that the audience may stay engaged and informed, and the audience has to stay on their toes so that they can follow and be inspired to learn more about whatever the speaker is talking about. I like that challenge.

Winslow: The process has been fun.  It’s something new for me, so I’m excited to see how it turns out.

Have you ever done anything similar to a TED talk?

Ethan: First time for everything. I’ve been getting up in front of crowds forever to sing, to act, or to deliver prepared speeches for student government positions. But I have never stood in front of an auditorium full of people to explain a new idea. This is foreign, exciting, and challenging all at the same time.

Winslow: Nope, never. Fingers crossed.

What is one of the most important skills that you think a speaker needs to have a successful talk?

Ethan: I think you need to have passion for whatever it is that you’re talking about. TED has gained a ton of popularity in the last few years alone and there are hundreds of talks out there, but the best ones come from those speakers that get up there and inspire you to think differently.

Winslow: Confidence, and poise.  The best speakers don’t seem nervous. No guarantees.

Are there any TED talks that you have watched that have inspired you on your own? If so, how did they inspire you?

Ethan: I loved TED talks. My friends in high school and I used to spend hours just listening to them because they offer something for everyone. Professor Lawrence Lessig has delivered some of my favorites, most recently this one about the need for campaign finance reform in the United States.

Winslow: I watched Sir Ken Robinson’s talk about how school kills creativity.  I thought it was an awesome talk, and the way he speaks is inspiring.

Questions for Ethan:

How did you first learn about the “nones”? Back in October, Conn Professor Gene Gallagher sent my Religion and the United States class a recent study on the “Nones” from the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. I asked to research and write about the “Nones” for my final project of the semester.

Was it hard to find information about them at first? Not at all. I’m grateful that Pew put this study together in the first place because reading through it opens up a whole assortment of additional literature and research.

Have you ever met someone who is a “none”?  If so what was your experience like with them? I meet Nones all the time. I go to school with a lot of them. One of the main points of my talk is that “Nones” are getting younger and younger. One third of American adults under 30 (our generation) doesn’t identify with a specific religious institution. I have to admit that I’m a little amused when I explain this to people and they just respond with, “Wow… that sounds a lot like me.” That’s kind of the beauty of this terminology. A lot of “Nones” don’t even realize they’re “Nones” because religion has become a little less crucial to understanding our identity as individuals.

What has been one of your best experiences so far during the process of creating a TED talk? I’ve loved the push-back. The questions and critique I’ve received from professors and students alike has been important in getting me to refine my ideas. I feel more prepared to deliver this talk because of that constructive support.

Questions for Winslow:

How did you learn about “Oasis” I learned about Oasis through their website when I was researching what I should do for my final research project.  The contact information for the director was right on the homepage so I called him and he invited me to come see what they were all about.

What made you so interested in tying both the power of story telling to your South African experience? Story telling allows people to connect in a way that matters.  In the case of South Africa the man that I worked with used his story to inspire youth throughout the townships of the Cape Flats to change their lives.  His story inspired others, and it inspired me, and since that experience I have held the belief that storytelling is a powerful and influential tool for change.

What has been one of your best experiences so far during the process of creating a Ted talk? I’m hoping the best experience comes on Saturday when I make it through my speech.  So far it’s been a lot of work, but I’m hoping it pays off.

Her Campus Conn Coll