Campus Celeb: Alexis Adams-Clark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celeb: Alexis Adams-Clark! She is passionate about her two majors: Psychology and Gender and Women’s Studies and is very involved with clubs and centers. This celebs holds positions on campus such as a student coordinator at the Women’s Center, a member of SafetyNet, and a tutor at Roth Writing Center. Off campus, Alexis completed psychology research at Brown University and Saint Louis University. The senior tells us about some of her favorite classes at Conn as well as shares her advice for underclassmen. 

Class Year: 2015

Hometown: Delray Beach, FL

Major: Psychology, Gender and Women’s Studies, PICA certificate program

Extracurricular activities: student coordinator at CC Women’s Center, member of SafetyNet, president of the Psychology Honor Society, member of the Psychology SAB, tutor at Roth Writing Center, teaching assistant in the Psychology Department, and a volunteer at Safe Futures in New London

Spirit animal: Cat – cats are independent and a little sassy, just like me

Favorite place on campus: My room is pretty cozy, but I also frequent Blue Camel Café and the Campus Bar

What is your favorite food? Mac n’ Cheese…actually anything with cheese

Do you have a favorite class or professor taken at Conn?

Psychology of Personality with Professor Singer is what made me want to be a psychology major, but you can’t really go wrong with any class in the psych department. I’m also really enjoying Advanced Readings in Feminist Theory in the GWS department this semester.

We heard you had a wonderful Study Abroad experience last year, could you tell us a little bit about it?

Last fall, I went abroad to Copenhagen, Denmark, which was HANDS DOWN the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. I was really anxious about going abroad, but it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made. I wandered the streets of Copenhagen, ate danishes and pastries for every meal, rode my bike all across the city (biking is really big in Copenhagen), traveled all around Europe, and even interned at a Danish psychiatric center. Needless to say, it was quite a rough adjustment coming back to the U.S.

As a graduating senior, what advice would you give to underclassmen?

Don’t be scared to do things by yourself, and ENJOY THE NEW LIBRARY

What are your post-graduation plans?

As of now, I’m planning on getting a job as a research assistant in a psychology lab at a hospital or university for a couple of years, and then heading to a Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology!

Fun Fact:

Both of my parents are sex therapists, which made my childhood a little unique. There was definitely some awkwardness when I had to explain my parents’ careers to my friends and teachers, as you can probably imagine. Although unusual, their work did eventually inspire me pursue psychology as a career path for myself (in addition to making me extremely comfortable talking about sex…)

Anything else you’d like to share?

For the past two summers, I interned in psychology research labs. This summer, I worked at Saint Louis University on a project studying traumatic stress in female survivors of intimate partner violence. During the summer of 2013, I worked at Brown University on a project studying the role of alcohol in interpersonal violence perpetration.

I also really love doing my own independent research. Last semester, as part of Professor Chrisler’s Feminist Psychology Research group, I did an independent study about the perceived (yet incorrect) belief that feminism and heterosexual romance are mutually exclusive. Through this project, I explored the positive role that feminism can play in romantic relationships.

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity? Pretty psyched!

Hallie is a Junior who enjoys writing for Conn Coll’s Her Campus chapter! Not only does she love the fact that she shares the same initials as Her Campus (HCXO!), but she loves being part of the Her Campus Conn Coll community, as well as having the opportunity of integrating her passion for photography, journalism, and pop culture throughout her posts. She is currently on the executive board of Her Campus Conn Coll and manages the twitter account.
Her Campus Conn Coll