This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

We can all get sick of Harris sometimes and want to try something besides dorm food! Next time when your friends and you are craving good dinner, you can opt out of the traditional McDonalds and Dominos DoorDash and try some of these recommendations to support local spots! 

One of our favorite lunch places that doubles as a great study spot is Washington St Coffee House in downtown New London. All the lattes are great, and I highly recommend any of the egg breakfast sandwiches. The baristas and chefs are so friendly and the colorful paintings and plants make a great environment for everyone. Together, my friends and I have practically tried every food item on the menu and we love going there on weekends to get a break from campus and study for a couple hours. 

– Maria Sell ‘23

At least once a week, I ask my friends if we can go to Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream that’s at the end of the Mystic Main Street. They have great fun ice cream flavors, sherbet options, fun drinks like lattes, smoothies, and Italian Soda ice cream floats, and my friends and I like to get a couple big sundaes to share. I highly recommend bringing any guests here so they can enjoy downtown Mystic, enjoy this sweet ice cream, and see the view of the water. 

– Kendall Foley ‘24

This year, we’ve found a new favorite dinner place just outside of Mystic: Taqueria is the best place to get street tacos and drinks in the area! We highly recommend the El Pastor Taco, getting some chips and guac for the table, and of course wash it down with a glass of bubbly Diet Coke. They have a great outdoor eating area for the summer, and it totally reminds us of Carsland in Disneyland because it’s in a renovated gas station. 

– Maria Sell ‘23 and Kendall Foley ‘24

One of my favorite places to treat myself to is Karma Kitchen and Juicery in Mystic. Just around the corner from the drawbridge, Karma Kitchen has great smoothies and juices, as well as lots of sandwiches and salad options. My go-to is their açaí bowl. All their smoothie bowls include five toppings, so you don’t rack up a bill with add ons like at many other smoothie shops. It’s the perfect place if you are walking around downtown Mystic and need a snack, or if you are looking for a quick getaway from campus. 

– Caitlin Boyd ‘24

Kendall Foley

Conn Coll '24

Kendall Foley is a sophomore at Connecticut College majoring in Philosophy and pursuing a Pathway in Data, Information, and Society. At Conn, Kendall plays for the women's water polo team and is an intern in the Office of Student Accessibility Services. In her free time, you can find Kendall open-water swimming, baking, or spending time with her family.
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!
Caitlin Boyd

Conn Coll '24

Caitlin Boyd is a junior at Connecticut College studying neuroscience. She loves writing everything from book recs, to music reviews, to campus life experiences! If you see Caitlin around Conn, she is probably looking fascinated by the campus squirrels.