Best Outdoor Restaurants in and Around New London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

With the weather warming up, tons of outdoor restaurants are opening for the season and welcoming customers with awesome outdoor seating. Below are some of the top eateries in and around New London for you and your friends to check out on a sunny spring day without hurting your wallets.

Captain Scott’s Lobster Dock: Otherwise known as the Lobster Dock, this inviting restaurant right on the water in New London opened its doors for the season in late March. Menu items range from lobster rolls to fried clams, all within budget. With everything priced at $15 or below and serving generous portions, the Lobster Dock is an awesome place to spend a sunny day with friends. Not to mention, a stellar view! For those 21 and older, it’s BYOB!

Paul’s Pasta: Paul’s Pasta in Groton is open year-round, but the outdoor seating is the most inviting in the warm months. Paul’s has a wonderful covered deck perfect for looking over the Thames River as you enjoy that big bowl of homemade pasta. Tip: Get the large order of pasta and take the rest home for leftovers for the next day! Why not spread out that non-Harris meal? Their portions are huge so you’re guaranteed leftovers from a big entree.

Bleu Squid Bakery and Cheese Shop: Like Paul’s, Bleu Squid in Mystic is open all year, but the outdoor seating is the best when it’s warm out. Do you like grilled cheese and cupcakes? Then this place is for you. Their selection of gourmet grilled cheese and delicious cupcakes is bound to tempt your taste buds. And gourmet doesn’t mean expensive at Bleu Squid; you can get a big gourmet grilled cheese with Havarti, Fontina, extra sharp Cheddar, and Muenster cheeses on your choice of bread for only $4.75. You can also add a variety of items to your sandwich including bacon or pesto among many others. Bleu Squid is a must try whether your parents are in town or you and your friends just want to go on a mini road trip to Mystic for the day.

The Treehouse at Oyster Club: Alright, admittedly this suggestion may be more of a place for your parents to take you because of the price, but the outdoor seating can’t be beat. As the name suggests, during the warm months customers can sit on a deck amongst the trees. The menu consists of awesome local seafood even though the prices might be a bit more than a typical college kid can afford on a whim. The menu isn’t that diverse, but the raw bar lists clams and oysters from Rhode Island, Maine, and New York. The Treehouse is a must try for the seating and the fresh seafood!

Mango’s Wood-Fired Pizza Co: Our last suggestion is Mango’s Wood-Fired Pizza Co. in Mystic. With so many awesome places in Mystic, a trip up the coast to the little town will not disappoint. Mango’s has awesome reviews on Yelp! boasting about the service, the pizza, and the location, what more could you ask for?! The reviews do say that Mango’s can be on the pricey side, so it might be more of the experience of a gourmet pizza than an every weekend kind of deal. The outdoor seating is definitely a treat here and is the perfect way to enjoy that wonderful pizza. Mango’s has a great beer selection too for you beer lovers out there. 

Her Campus Conn Coll