Style > Beauty

Aya Cash is My Current Makeup Inspiration — Here Are 4 Looks I’m Obsessed With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Before Aya Cash graced (or more accurately, terrorized) our screens as Stormfront, the primary antagonist in Season 2 of The Boys, she starred in FX’s anti rom-com You’re The Worst as the vitriolic, self-destructive Gretchen Cutler. Cash portrays her generally immoral characters with a scathing wit, yet with raw emotion and humanity that viewers can’t help but to hate-to-love them. (While this works for anti-hero Gretchen, I don’t really want to feel entertained by or invested in Stormfront, who’s a literal Nazi — but that’s another story).

The point being, Aya Cash is an insanely talented yet underrated actress, and she just gives off the most effortlessly cool vibes both in and out of character. Not only that, but she’s been rocking some of the most unique yet subtle makeup looks I’ve seen on red carpets or magazine shoots.

1. Primary Colors

A post shared by Aya Cash (@maybeayacash) on

This look is pretty wearable and simple — it looks like she’s only wearing one eyeshadow color, but the combination of the red lips and yellow eyes is somewhat unique and unexpected. The bold, primary colors contrast each other in such an interesting way. It’s definitely an eye-catching look that looks like it took more effort than it probably did, but it’s everyday-appropriate enough that it won’t clash with a casual outfit. I was so inspired by this simple yet modern color combo that I even recreated it myself.

2. Purple Haze

This purple smokey eye is absolutely stunning. From the blown-out crease and outer corner, to the peachy-golden inner-corner, to purple shades that are bright but don’t have a lot of depth — I can’t stop ogling over this makeup. This stunning wash of color brightens up the eye and elevates Aya’s entire look. A somewhat updated take on a soft glam eye, this elegant look feels fun yet mature.

3. Vintage Blue

A post shared by Daniel Martin (@danielmartin) on

I love this vivid blue hue, and the bold lid color without a blown-out, diffused crease color feels like a more updated take on 60s mod makeup. The warm-toned, peachy-brown lip is also an ingenious combination with the bright blue eye. Like the yellow eye makeup, this seems like an easy, wearable way to incorporate a pop of color into your makeup. 

4. Color-Block Eyeliner

We’ve seen colored eyeliner, but three colors with a bold wing? Iconic. Color blocking has become pretty trendy in fashion, and it’s so cool to see this trend recreated in makeup. I love how the lighter blue wing is outlined by a navy color — it gives this look a pop-art feel. The pastel eyeliner colors also keep the large winged shape from looking super too heavy and keep the eyes from looking closed-off.

In conclusion, I want to book Aya Cash’s makeup artist.

Samantha is a senior at Connecticut College, double-majoring in Sociology and Economics. She is currently the Beauty Section Editor and a National Writer for Her Campus, having prior been a Beauty Editorial Intern during the summer of 2019. She is also a writer and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Conn Coll. She is passionate about intersectional feminism, puns, and sitcoms with strong female leads.