This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s almost finals week which means…it’s almost move-out week! While we’re all eager to get home, see our families, and start our summertime adventures, packing up the room we’ve called home for nine months is a humongous hurdle. Here are some of our tips for efficiently moving out of your dorm room this year:

I am quite the collector to the point where my dorm better resembles a museum than a room. However, my biggest tip is to not be too sentimental in choosing what you want to bring home. Will you really need that Conn vs CGA hockey ticket to hang in your childhood bedroom for just three months? Or is it something that can be tucked away and hung up back in your dorm next semester? While these mementos are definitely special, there isn’t much need to haul them back and forth for just a summer break. 

– Kendall Foley ‘24

Every year when I pack up my room for the summer, I get so excited to organize and make sure everything fits in my bags and bins to maximize space and efficiency. Make sure to wrap your breakables like mugs and frames with your towels and sweatshirts and stuff anything small like pens and command hooks inside of coffee tumblers and water bottles that you’re also storing away, so don’t let anything be empty! 

Definitely balance how many light/heavy items are going into every bin that you’ll have to lift so you’re not breaking your back. Finally, don’t forget to drain your fridge ahead of time and duct tape every drawer closed when you’re moving them around! 

– Maria Sell ‘23 

This year, I have my work cut out for me in terms of packing. I’ll be moving home for about a week, before relocating to Maine for the duration of the summer. Therefore, I’m planning on making quite a few lists to keep me organized. One will have the things I need to take to Maine, one with stuff I’ll be leaving at home, and then, of course, an “others” list. The goal is to keep all of these things separate, but we shall see. Usually, everything just ends up shoved in various bags–which is a totally viable option as well. 

– Lara Beckius ‘24

Kendall Foley

Conn Coll '24

Kendall Foley is a sophomore at Connecticut College majoring in Philosophy and pursuing a Pathway in Data, Information, and Society. At Conn, Kendall plays for the women's water polo team and is an intern in the Office of Student Accessibility Services. In her free time, you can find Kendall open-water swimming, baking, or spending time with her family.
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!