Wellness

8 Tips for Those Who Are Not Going Home for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Sometimes when you attend school 1,000 miles away from home, it makes it a little hard to go back home due to time, money, etc. As a senior staying on campus for the fourth time, I have some tips on how to enjoy your time and feel a little less sad about not going back home.

1. People are willing to host you. My college provides numerous contacts and ways to get a host for Thanksgiving Day. Faculty and staff (shout out to the Conn dining hall ladies) are extremely eager to host you and bring you into their homes. When I told people I was staying on campus, I received tons of offers/invitations from my professors, friends who live close to campus, and many others.

2. Make your own FRIENDSGIVING! If you are one of those people who do not want to spend your Thanksgiving with other families, it is okay. Gather some of your friends or other acquaintances that stayed on campus and make your own feast. P.S: It is better to split the groceries because it will cost a lot of money. 

3. Travel to those big cities around your area. Attending school in Connecticut means I can go to Boston and/or NYC to shop, visit, and just feel the holiday spirit.

4. Make BLACK FRIDAY your thing! Back home, my family and I do not shop on Black Friday; we just like to stay in. During college, I literally shop until I drop. Grab some friends and head to the mall. If you are a little frugal this time of year, still go because you might find something that is around your price range.

5. Make your own movie night/marathon. Hopefully, you have professors that did not assign much work over the break (SHOUTOUT TO THOSE PROFESSORS WHO UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF BREAK). Grab an HDMI cord, a TV, and some friends (or just yourself) and watch movies until you get tired.

6. Gather up some snacks for the break. Your dining halls and nearby restaurants might be closed.

7. BLAST YOUR MUSIC. Most of your floor mates will be gone for the break and it will feel a bit lonely and quiet. Turn up your music to the max and have your own dance party. Hopefully, someone will hear your music and join you!

8.   TREAT YO’ SELF SPA DAY. Due to our busy schedules with classes, extra-curriculars, and staying sane, pampering yourself is a MUST. Try cleansing face masks, new hair styles, and other self-care tactics so that when everyone comes back, you’ll be glowing.

Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.
Her Campus Conn Coll