The 8 Signs You’re a Dance Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

There is a common misconception in college that majoring in dance is an easy way out. But, in reality, it’s quite the opposite. Here are some of the daily struggles dance majors face: 

1. Dance attire. You’ll find us with leotard lines and/or a confusing combination of workout clothes that are not the typical Lululemon ensemble. 

2. Crazy rehearsal hours. It is not uncommon to finish a rehearsal up around midnight, leading to a state of delirium. 

3. Hell week. Don’t even talk to us during the week leading up to a show. Enough said. 

4. Eating on the go. Rehearsals can be spontaneous, so sometimes our meals have to be too.

5. Pre-show rituals. We can’t always explain them, but we all have them. 

6. Our bodies. They are our only instruments, so between doing our splits, cracking our hips and using our bare feet all day long, they get worn out from time to time.   

7. Using our skills outside of the studio. Knowing how to bust a move in public is just one perk of endless hours of rehearsals. 

8. Our critical eye. Another perk is knowing when the not-so-coordinated humans decide to “bust a move.”  

9. Getting a break. We work tirelessly to get casted in as many dances as possible, but use the same dance moves to celebrate when those rehearsals are canceled. 

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Julie is a junior at Connecticut College from Montclair, New Jersey studying dance and psychology. She loves to share her passion for food with friends and family and has been on a life long quest to find the world's best slice of pizza. In her free time, Julie enjoys yoga and hopes to one day become a certified yoga instructor. 
Her Campus Conn Coll