This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Fall break at Connecticut College – five days off from classes, clubs, and sports – occurs from September 27th to October 2nd this semester. Even though we will have only been in class for one month, the break offers a great way to get out of New London and unwind. Here are five budget-friendly fall break trips to take with your family or college friends. 

Mystic

Mystic is the easiest destination for your fall break adventures. You can visit local coffee shops, bookstores, eat at one of several amazing restaurants, or visit the aquarium. If you want to add an activity to your day, try a kayaking tour from Paddle Mystic! This is the most cost-effective trip of only $15 through Uber. A few of my favorite spots are Red 36 and Drawbridge @ 24. 

Providence

Providence is a quick hour-long train ride from New London that usually only costs about $25. If you are already sick of the Crystal Mall, you’ll be excited to know that the train station is located right next to the Providence Place Mall. A few events happening in Providence during fall break include Oktoberfest, WaterFire Providence, and the Providence Bruins game! Twin River Casino is also a great attraction right outside of the city. You can easily go for the day or spend the night with hotels and Airbnbs starting at $75 per night. 

Boston

Our top choice for Fall Break is Boston, MA! Her Campus College Fashion Week is happening at the Revere Hotel Boston Common and tickets start at just $20! There are a million other things to do in Boston other than College Fashion Week, such as shopping on Newbury Street, visiting the Museum of Fine Arts or Museum of Science, and watching sporting events such as the Red Sox or Boston College Football. Other events happening over fall break include the Oyster Festival and the Bruins vs. Blackhawks game. I highly recommend going to Eataly or Legal Seafood in the Seaport! If you somehow haven’t made a friend from “right outside of Boston”, Airbnbs start at $65 per night and train tickets from New London into Back Bay start at $37. 

The Berkshires

Looking to get away from it all? The Berkshires in Western Mass is your best bet! Although I love a good road trip with your roommates through Connecticut and Massachusetts, you can also take an Amtrak to Holyoke, MA for $52 and then Uber to Pittsfield (the real Berkshires), or just enjoy the Five College Valley! Catch a football game at UMass Amherst, explore quaint downtown Holyoke, or hike Mount Tom! Some of my favorite restaurants in the area include Insomnia Cookies, Herrell’s Ice Cream, and Local Burger. Shout out to Primo Too Pizzeria in Amherst! Airbnbs start at $45 per night. 

New York City

Everyone should take the train from New London to NYC at least once. Tickets start at $50 from New London and the ride takes about 2.5 hours. There are endless possibilities in NYC like the Global Citizen Festival, Oktoberfest, and the New York Burlesque Festival. Obviously, there are also tourist attractions such as Times Square, Broadway, Central Park, and the Empire State Building. Want to try something new? Go to Chelsea Pier where you can hit golf balls out over the Hudson River, or visit Brooklyn Flea for all your favorite finds. Follow @FoodandCity on Instagram to find the best spots near you! Airbnbs start at $50. 

I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Her Campus Conn Coll