david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

13 Spooky Songs That Should be on Your Halloween Playlist This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, getting in the Halloween mood might be a little trickier in 2020. Luckily, there’s nothing a little music can’t fix. Here are 13 spooky songs that are a necessary addition to your Halloween playlist this year.  

Thriller by Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson’s spectacular vocals and funky moves make this chilling classic a must for your playlist. Having a movie night? The music video is a short film in itself. Check it out!

Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett

A dance party favorite, this song is sure to bring a smile to the faces of both kids and adults.

This Is Halloween by The Citizens of Halloween

This favorite from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is both terrifying and hilarious to listen to. The Citizens of Halloween will be sure to tell you why their holiday is superior. 

Don’t Scream (It’s Only Halloween) by Andrew Gold 

Although this song isn’t too well known, it perfectly captures the spirit of Halloween with spine-tingling words and a fun beat.

A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince

Join a young Will Smith as he tells us about the events of one frightful night in perhaps the most underrated Halloween song ever recorded. 

I Put a Spell on You by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins

Whether it’s the hilariousness of the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus or the energy of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, this song is a Halloween staple and is sure to spice up your playlist.

Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. 

A fantastic song from a fantastic movie. Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!

Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKtPOC3VqGs

This fun and catchy tune tells the story of a werewolf infestation in the British capital. They’re a lot more prevalent than one might realize….

Calling All the Monsters by China Anne McClain

For Gen Z kids, China Ann McClain’s song from the hit television show Ant Farm is a must this spooky season.

(Don’t Fear) The Reaper by Blue Öyster Cult

This ’70s hit is a great addition to your playlist bringing a calm, but eerie mood to any event. 

Superstition by Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder and his horn section bring the house down in this song with talk of broken glass, the devil, and bad luck that’s sure to get you in the Halloween mood. 

Black Magic Woman by Santana

This song will send shivers down your spine as you enjoy your Halloween night.

Zombie by The Cranberries

Nothing says Halloween like zombies, and The Cranberries’ creepy but powerful vocals and instrumentals are a perfect addition to your playlist.

With these Halloween hits at your fingertips, you’re guaranteed to have a frightful and spooky night. Happy Halloween!

Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Her Campus Conn Coll