photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

The 10 Stages of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Stage 1: The Anticipation. Will there be enough mashed potatoes?

Stage 2: Stretchy Pant Game. Ideally, you want to look flawless, but, in reality, you know the only thing that is going to get you through the meal is your on point stretchy pant game. 

Stage 3: It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Remembering to pace yourself is key. You do not want to miss out on Grandma’s mashed potatoes because you already stuffed your face with stuffing and more turkey than you thought was humanly possible.

Stage 4: Ignoring family questions about college life. Thanksgiving is all about the priorities: food, food, and then some more food…just kidding! Be thankful for those that surround you always. They’ll understand — afterall, you’ve been used to only eating college dinning hall food. 

Stage 5: The mid-day nap. Watching people cook and prepare a feast is tiring, we get it. The mid-day nap is prime for getting through a day filled with dodging family members’ questions and feasting.

Stage 6: Rebooting. Did you hear someone say dessert? You can do it. Rally and head for that table filled with all your favorites you only see on this one day.  

Stage 7: The Food Coma. You couldn’t have stopped even if you tried, and now you literally can’t move. If someone wanted you to, they’d have to be down for dragging you all the way. 

Stage 8: Exercise? The thought that a nice jog, yoga session, or even just a little stretching might be good after that amazing meal is very short lived. In reality, you just ate your weight in amazing food. You remember your food coma, and there is no chance of moving. No regrets!

Stage 9: The sadness. The realization that we have to wait a whole year in order to go through the process again hits hard. 

Stage 10: Leftovers. Oh wait, it’s all-good, the leftovers will be in the fridge waiting for round two tomorrow.

Have a happy, love-filled, joyous Thanksgiving!

HCXO,

The girls from Her Campus Conn

Sophie Furman is a current senior at Conn Coll majoring in Sociology and interested in the fashion industry. 
Her Campus Conn Coll