This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s that time of year again….college decision time! For all you high school seniors who are still trying to muddle through all the pros and cons of each fabulous school you’ve been accepted to, here is some info about why we think Conn is so great. Hopefully this will make your decision a little easier!

1. The beautiful campus: There is nothing better than being able to look out over the water as you walk out of Blaustein or down to the gym. Conn overlooks the Thames River on one side and the Long Island Sound on another, so there’s never a shortage of a good view. Because it’s a smaller campus, and you don’t have to walk miles across campus or wait for a bus to take you back to your dorm, you can actually enjoy the beautiful pink and white blossoms that cover the landscape in the spring.

2. The Arboretum: The arboretum –Arbo for short–is a quiet nature sanctuary that is great for taking a hike to clear your head or perfect spot to study in one of the many gazebos. When the weather is warm, bands and comedy groups will put on shows in the Arbo and it is always a treat!

3. The fantastic location! Conn is about half way between New York and Boston, which make for great weekend adventures.

4. Guaranteed housing: Unlike larger schools where finding housing is a major headache, housing at Conn is guaranteed for all four years.

5. The honor code: Being one of the few schools in the country that runs on an honor code certainly has its perks! Because the honor code instills students with the values of responsibility and respect, you can leave your most valuable possessions (seriously-keys, laptop, phone, money) in public places like the library or dining hall and not have to worry about anything being stolen. The honor code also allows you to self-schedule many of your finals, a convenience students don’t get at other institutions (they’re stuck on whatever schedule is determined by their professors). Additionally you can collaborate with other students without having to worry about them stealing your work and are awarded increased trust by professors.

6. Emphasis on an interdisciplinary education: Classes here at Conn are about more than just learning information to prepare you for the test. Academics here are about preparing you to be an informed and engaged citizen for your life. By connecting what you learn in different departments, you have a better sense of how things relate and connect in a broader scope of the world.

7. The CELS Office (Career Enhancing Life Skills): The CELS counselors are life savers who give advice on everything from classes, to jobs and internships, to how to stay calm during finals. Not to mention that if you complete the CELS workshops offered each year, you become eligible for a $3,000 stipend (to offset the cost of transportation/food/housing) for an internship after your junior year!

8. The professors: Conn professors are hands down some of the best. Not only are they engaging in the classroom, but they care about you as a whole person, not just a student. Professors here have been known to answer e-mails on weekends, invite students into their homes for meals, even give them babysitting jobs!

9. The Students: The student body at Conn just makes the experience here that much better. Everyone is open and friendly and engaged; help is always just around the corner and the upperclassmen don’t look down on freshman.

10. Traditions: Throughout the year there are several school traditions that help break the monotony of the daily routine. Arbofest in the fall (a day full of music, games, and free cider!), Festivus in the winter (Conn’s annual ode to the holiday season), and Floralia in the spring (a day long music festival).

*Bonus: We have a fabulous mascot and the most delicious camel cookies!

For more information, check out our college guide!

Susannah is a senior at Conn Coll finishing up her Psychology and English double major with her Religious Studies minor. Susannah loves finding new music on Spotify, watching romantic comedies, and practicing yoga. Fresh out of the oven cookies are her greatest weakness rivaled only by her love of online shopping.
Her Campus Conn Coll