Why You Need to Binge CMT’s Show Nashville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

If you haven’t seen the show Nashville, I feel sorry for you. I’m a girl who loves anything country which is why I was initially drawn to the show. However, this show doesn’t throw its country vibe at you with the typical horses on a ranch and plaid shirts tucked into your jeans. This is a series full of relatable heartbreaks, family matters, and career-chasing dilemmas. If you’re anything like me, you will definitely fall in love with the characters of this show. They play on your emotions like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

There are two main reasons why I love this show:

1. This show is great because it has a lot of female power, and even though the beginning starts off with some female competition, it leads to female empowerment and support. The two main characters, Juliette Barnes (Hayden Panettiere) and Rayna Jaymes, (Connie Britton) begin as rivals but somehow build a relationship with each other that is more positive than negative. These two characters build a relationship that isn’t necessarily 100 per cent ideal, but they develop a lot of respect for one another. I like this aspect because I feel that competition can be healthy at times, especially when people are determined to obtain a successful career for themselves. The most real aspect of this show is that it doesn’t turn out to be all fine and dandy where you’re running through a field of flowers with your former rival. It shows maturity and growth. It shows that you don’t necessarily have to like someone, but that you could find it in yourself to respect them.

2. Another reason I love this show is because it illustrates unconditional love and how you will go to the end of the earth for the people that you love. It is real, it shows the struggles of someone who is dealing with taking care of themselves whilst trying to take care of everyone else around them as well.  Another aspect of unconditional love that I adore about this show is the way it prioritizes family. Jaymes has two beautiful daughters where on many occasions, she chooses them over anything, be it money or fame. On the other hand, there are some characters who choose money and fame over their loved ones, and it shows the consequences of doing so.

Ultimately, this show is so beautiful and so real. It illustrates family, love, fame, careers and more in the most real way that I could imagine.

It encourages a motto that many people should go by, which is not letting anything hold you back from chasing your dreams.

Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.