Why the Hive Free Lunch is the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

First of all, let me be clear. Sure there is the Hive and the People’s Potato at the downtown campus. Two very useful organizations that is for the community, by the community. But the focus of this article is the free lunch offered by the Hive at the Loyola campus. Too often anything at Loyola is overlooked because it’s at Loyola, but I just couldn’t keep this treat to myself anymore.

It is no secret that students love free thing, be it swag, gift cards, or even a day off. One thing in particular that is sure to get University students excited: free food. With all the energy expended for homework, exams, and even off campus jobs, not having to spend money on (good) food is an opportunity few would deny. Whether you’re stressed about exam season and don’t have time to cook or you’re just looking to try some new vegan meals, here’s why the Hive Free Lunch is the best thing since sliced bread.

1. It’s healthy

If you’re always low-key beating yourself up for not eating enough healthy food, this is the best place to start trying. Each meal is vegan and they provide the recipe and ingredient list right next to the plates for anyone who wants to go replicate it at home. There’s no more need to rack your brain for healthy alternatives, they’ve done it for you! And if you’re just sick and tired of vending machine junk, this is the perfect solution.

2. It’s everyday

This isn’t a joke. Nor are you being punk’d. And you’re not re-living the same day over and over again. The Hive Free Lunch is actually served every day Monday to Friday, you can head on over the SC building and go up the stairs and find lunch being prepared and served to all those who come and wait in line. Everyone who comes will at least receive firsts. Some few lucky ones may even get seconds!

3. It’s free

This is such an important reason, it’s included it in the title. This food is so good I would be willing to pay for it, but the fact that it’s offered for free makes me all the more thankful. Thanks to Concordia Student Union fee levies and other donations, they’re able to make sure reason one and two stay possible. So on days when you forgot your money at home, your card is declined  or you’re just trying to save a few bucks, head on over to the Hive.

So a big thank you to the people who tirelessly work in the kitchen everyday for us and who without fail serve delicious, healthy, and free lunch. Thanks also to the volunteers who help them out as well!

Josie Fome is a graduate student in Journalism. She loves to read, write and enjoy the ocassional Netflix binge. She's quick to extend motivation and encouragement wherever needed. In her spare time, you can (try) to catch her sneaking onto rooftops for breathtaking skyline views.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.