This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

A crisp white sheet, a blank canvas, a new Word document these things are some of the most formidable elements to overcome. Taking the first step to having that glisten of inspiration that jolts you into a new project is an exciting feeling, but sometimes nothing comes to mind. As a Her Campus writer, it gets challenging to find a new article prompt every week too. So, here are some things that I do to find that inspiration.

In the pages of a book

Look for inspiration inside a book. Whether it’s an art book with big high-quality images or a novel that sparks ideas, reading is a great way to let your mind travel. However, it’s important never to plagiarize, always cite your sources if you’re taking ideas or information from someone.

In the fresh air

When ideas aren’t coming, going outside to clear your head, a little can be helpful. You’ll come back refreshed and relaxed, ready to tackle that project with a fresh mind.

Writing a stream of consciousness

Writing whatever your hand and brain come up with is an efficient way to break out of this dilemma. As Charles Bukowski said in this book, The    Last Night    of the Earth    Poems (1992), “writing about a writer’s block is better than not writing at all”.

Brainstorming

Talking with someone else can aid you in overcoming your block. They have a different perspective to give that can help you look at the topic and challenge you to look at it through a new lens.

While exercising

Exercising is a great way to let your brain wander and fall onto new ideas, just like going for a walk. Just make sure to write them down, so you don’t forget them.

In the silence

Take a break and a moment to breathe, while noticing your surroundings and the sounds around you. Silence can calm you down and encourage you to search within yourself for what can be hiding.

In the past

Going back to older writings, paintings, or anything else may help. I’ve kept journals for years, and I always feel a little nostalgic when looking through them, which then triggers inspiration.  

In doing something new 

Getting outside of your comfort zone opens your mind for new adventures. Perhaps going to new museums or exhibitions can help reel you in a different direction. Being in a new creative space, where perhaps you feel a little uncomfortable, may challenge you in thinking outside the box. 

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.