What Would Be Different If There Was No Moon?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The moon is something that is intriguing, something that sparks romance and can act as some sort of inspiration when you feel nothing else has inspired you. Ever gone to the lookout at night with friends and felt a little tingle in your heart when you look at the moon? Its beauty is almost breathtaking. Remember the solar eclipse we had not too long ago? That wouldn’t have been possible without our moon, and, without getting too scientific on you, here are a few other things that wouldn’t be possible if we didn’t have a moon:

1. Tides would be a lot smaller

Tides are caused by both the sun and the moon. However, the moon is the primary reason why tides rise and fall and it is the combination of both the moon and sun that is responsible for the actual height of the tides. According to Earthsky.org, around the time of a new moon and a full moon, the moon, the sun and the earth are arranged in a line. The sun’s gravity then reinforces the moon’s gravity in this case creating a tide. When you are somewhere where you can hear the waves crash against the shore, almost like a lullaby that puts us (me) to sleep, remember, there wouldn’t be as many tides if it weren’t for the combination of the sun and moon.

1. Days would be much shorter

We always complain that there isn’t enough time in the day to do fun things! Being  full-time students and part-time workers, we often feel like our days are going by too quickly in the sense that, by the time we get home, we’ve got to have dinner, take a shower, and get enough sleep to repeat our daily schedules! So imagine, if we didn’t have the moon, our days would last about six to eight hours. My shifts are eight hours long!

1. No romantic kisses under the moonlight

Although I’ve never been kissed under the moon, I’ve seen it happen in movies and I’m still hopeful! But imagine, without a moon, we wouldn’t be able to experience what it would be like to be kissed at night under the moon and stars! I mean, the stars are equally as beautiful, don’t get me wrong, but the moon adds to the entire image and experience! Movies would be a lot different, and so would romance (not that you can’t be romantic in other ways, but the moon and stars are most definitely one of the most romantic backdrops ever.)

Ultimately, just try to imagine a nice long walk on the beach (I know we live in Montreal, but let a girl use her imagination), waves coming less often because there is no moon, having less time in a day to plan a beautiful walk on the beach because there is no moon, and lastly, having no moon to be kissed under. Boring.

For all of you who are still hopeful when it comes to being kissed under the moon and stars, let’s be thankful that our moon exists!

Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.