This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Brooklyn Flea Dumbo

Every Sunday from April through October, right under the Manhattan bridge, the Brooklyn Flea outdoor-market is in full swing. Tons of vendors, artisans and designers gather and feature local arts and & crafts, vintage clothing and furniture, antiques, collectibles, and incredible food. Since the creators also run Smorgasbord, one of the best food markets in town and the largest in America, the food vendors at the Brooklyn Flea are equally worth checking out.

I highly recommend hitting up this market on a sunny day. Once you arrive in Dumbo, you can head down to the water and go on a great walk post-shopping and snacking at the flea market. If you’re more into food trucks than vintage shopping, Smorgasbord in Prospect Park has 100 local food vendors in a great park by the water on the weekends.

Brunch

Brunch is a  must-do on weekends in New York. Great brunch comes with great patios the second the weather warms up, and I love to sit outside and people watch with a cocktail in hand. My favourite Williamsburg brunch spots all have terrific outdoor seating, but one I didn’t mention in my list is Sauvage.

The restaurant is on a bustling street corner, and the many tables on the sidewalk seat you next to McCarren park. The menu is small, reliable and foolproof, and if the weather doesn’t allow you to sit outside, the interior is pleasant and reminiscent of every corner bistro in Paris.

It’s also worth mentioning that, surprisingly, this place rarely has a lineup. Be sure to try the pear compote and walnut pancakes or the burger with caramelized onions and raclette. Any of their cocktails are also incredible.

There’s also a great farmer’s market across the street in McCarren park if you’re in the mood to shop for fresh produce afterwards!

Domino Park

After brunch, head just a few blocks down from Sauvage and you’ll find Domino Park, a five acre public park right on the East River in Williamsburg. Once known as the land marked Domino Sugar Refinery, the park now “includes over 30 large-scale, salvaged artifacts—components of the inner workings of sugar refining, an industry that dominated the Brooklyn waterfront for over a decade.”

The view of Manhattan is stellar, and between the built-in lawn chairs, the elevated walkway, fountain and seating steps, a beach volleyball court and a taco counter, Domino park is the perfect place to walk off those pancakes at brunch or to lay back and catch some sun for the afternoon.

Lily Tremblay

Concordia CA '20

Lily Tremblay lived in Vancouver for 10 years before returning to her hometown of Montreal to begin her studies at Concordia University. She is majoring in English Literature with a minor in Professional Writing, and this winter is her first semester as a contributor of Her Campus!
Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life.