Two of the Most Useful and Versatile Recipes Every Student Must Know for Back-to-School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

People who know me know that the first thing I get excited about when going back to school is getting back into cooking. It’s fall, which means all of my favourite vegetables are in season. Plus, I snap out of my summer daze and get motivated to try out new recipes. This time around, I decided it was time to share some of my back-to-school classics with the lovely HC readers! I know not everyone is as in love with cooking as I am, especially since time is lacking for many university students. This is why I’m sharing my true favourites for back-to-school. These recipes are super useful and versatile because they can be switched around and paired with different items to create either a small snack between meals or a hearty lunch or dinner!    

#1 White bean hummus

I use canned white kidney beans in this recipe because it creates a smoother concoction than chickpeas. Also, I leave out the tahini because I’m actually allergic to nuts and sesame seeds! However, feel free cut down the olive oil and add tahini if you like. Also, the dill can be replaced with any fresh soft-stemmed herb you prefer. This means herbs like cilantro, parsley, chives, basil… You can mix and match the herbs as you wish, as long as you stick to the right measurements. If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, you can replace them with a couple of teaspoons of dried herbs. The important thing to remember is to experiment with flavours you know you love!   

Ingredients

1 can of white kidney beans

The juice of 1 lemon

½ cup of olive oil

2 tbsp. of water

1 tsp. of ground cumin

1 tsp. of garlic powder

A handful of fresh, coarsely chopped dill, including the soft, clean part of the stems

A generous pinch of salt

Freshly ground pepper

Preparation

Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend at low speed for two minutes. If the hummus is too thick, add more olive oil or water (make sure to taste and adjust the seasoning if you do this).

For the perfect snack, this recipe can be eaten as a dip with veggies such as carrots and celery, or with fresh or toasted pita bread. If you want to be more creative, though, try dunking some oven-roasted cauliflower and broccoli in it! The lemony and fresh hummus will blend perfectly with the richer taste of roasted vegetables. To oven roast broccoli and cauliflower, cut them into bite-sized pieces and spread them onto a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 475 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

Finally, to make this recipe into a nutritious meal, try spreading it onto whole-grain bread or tortillas and making a sandwich with thinly sliced bell peppers, cucumbers and carrots. Feel free to add sliced turkey or shredded rotisserie chicken if you fancy meat and want to add a bit more protein. Pair with a piece of your favourite fruit and you’re set to tackle that essay!

#2 Chickpea Salad

In the same vein as the hummus here, I am using bean-based protein because a can of chickpeas fits most student budgets and can easily be stocked up in your pantry for the semester. Again, feel free to replace the basil and mint with any other fresh herb you have on hand, or with a couple of teaspoons of dried herbs.

Ingredients

1 can of chickpeas

1 tbsp. of chopped red onion

¼ cup of fresh basil

¼ cup of fresh mint

Zest and juice of ½ a lemon

½ cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

Preparation

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, adding a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. If you wish to eat this over the course of a few days, leave the fresh herbs on the side.

It might seem weird to eat salad as a snack, but I assure you a small portion of this can get you through the whole afternoon without wanting to bury your head in a bag of chips! Pair with a few whole-grain crackers and you’ve got a nutritious, protein-filled snack that will leave you feeling satisfied.

Finally, if you want to make this into a filling lunch or dinner, make it into a pasta salad! We’re staying away from boring, thick mayo and unseasoned raw veggies with this version. All you have to do is cook some penne or fusilli in boiling salted water until very al dente. Drain and let cool (or rinse with cold water if nobody is watching). Then add that roasted cauliflower and broccoli from before and toss it with the chickpea salad. Add more lemon juice, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper and you have the most exciting pasta salad to look forward to when you open your lunchbox.      

Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •