This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

When I was researching apartments with my friend before finding our apartment, my expectations were high. I wasn’t sure what to expect realistically—I mean, I knew there were more bills involved—but other than that, I had no idea. 

I was looking at an apartment once that had a narrow kitchen and a back door leading to a metal balcony. On the other side was another door leading to another apartment. My initial thought was, “We should get this one.” What if those people next door are our age, and are awesome, and I somehow found myself on the sitcom Friends?

It sounds technically appealing, having friends hang out with you 24/7, but now that I actually have my own place, the idea is less tempting. Don’t get me wrong, I love hanging out with friends, but I wouldn’t appreciate entering the house to find them all on my couch watching TV and eating my food. 

Here’s what to expect when you move out: 

1. Budgeting is a thing now

It doesn’t have to be extremely detailed or anything, but you’ll be watching your spending more. Do you really need to buy that outfit? And eating out has become either a guilty pleasure (if you’re like me and forget—or are too lazy—to make lunch at home), or something that’s reserved for occasions. 

2. Bills

Yes, this might be an obvious one, but there are quite a few. Along with school and your phone bills, there will be the monthly rent, hydro, and cable/internet bill coming your way. 

3. Communication, as always, is key

If you’re moving in with a friend and expecting it to be a sleepover every night, it won’t be. You’ll learn that some things they do might bother you—just like some things you do might bother them. It important to voice your concerns and talk about it. You’ll get used to sharing a place with them. And as for the “sleepover” thing, it does feel that way most times. 

4. Cleaning up is your job

You have no excuses not to clean up after yourself. The apartment doesn’t have to be spotless—I’m lazy too—but for your own good, at least do the dishes and pick up here and there. I’ve never had mice or anything like that in my place, but rodents aren’t something anyone wants to see scurrying across the floor late at night.

Moving out is exciting. It’s something we’ve all had or have to do at one point, and despite the responsibilities that come along with it, the independence that it brings is worthwhile. 

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.