This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

There are plenty of different reasons to start thrifting. It helps you save money on clothes, find one-of-a-kind pieces that mass retailers don’t carry, help the environment by reducing waste and pollution, and the list goes on. However, it can be extremely overwhelming walking into a thrift shop and seeing a ton of racks filled with hundreds of articles of clothing. Here are a few thrifting tips that can help make your thrifting trips enjoyable and help you find pieces you love! 

Visit often

The most important tip when it comes to successful thrifting is to shop often! You will leave the thrift stores empty-handed several times. However, going more often will increase your chances of finding items you love. Thrift stores continuously restock their stores on certain days of the week. Asking an employee when the restock days are can be a huge help since you can decide to go on those days and have a whole new selection of pieces.    

Take your time

Thrift shopping can be exhausting, and not finding anything as soon as you get there can be discouraging. However, because these stores have a ton of inventory, it is important to take your time. Look closely through your desired section and properly skim through every item on the racks to make sure you don’t miss any hidden gems.

Have a goal in mind

Because thrift stores have an overwhelming amount of items, it can be difficult and time-consuming to look around the entire store in hopes of finding pieces you like. Having an idea of what you’re looking for whether it’s a certain colour, trend, or clothing piece, will make your thrifting experience more effortless because you can look in the appropriate sections l rather than wasting your time. 

Look at different sections

Looking at sections that you don’t think apply to you like men’s, children or lingerie sections can help you find unique pieces. The men’s section contains oversized tees, hoodies, sweatpants or even dad jeans. In the lingerie section you can find slip dresses, corsets or lace shirts. You aren’t restricted to sections that only apply to you! Another great way to find some great pieces is to look through the putback racks or the end of the racks. These items are usually put down by buyers last second and can be a steal!

Inspect item before buying

This might seem obvious but it is very important to properly inspect your items before purchasing them. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking you find an amazing piece at first glance and then realizing it is damaged once you’re home. Check for stains, holes, piling or any other defect that makes the piece unwearable.

Tailor your finds

Because thrift shops clothes are usually vintage and one of a kind, it is more common than not that you will find some pieces you love but aren’t your exact size. This shouldn’t stop you from buying the item, you can just make alterations! There are many different ways to alter clothing that can be done at a tailor shop or even at home!

Jacqueline Cohen

Concordia CA '23

Jacqueline Cohen is a first year marketing student at Concordia University. She has a passion for travel, music, beauty and fashion.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.