Three Quick Weekend Knitting Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I am a knitter. I have been for years and, as much as some people call it an old lady habit, I happen to really enjoy it. If I knit I can watch TV guilt free because I am keeping my hands busy and being productive; it’s great. Here are three quick projects (depending on your experience) that you can get through on a chilly Sunday. For basic knitting tips, visit GoodKnitKisses to learn how to cast on and do the basic stitches I reference in this article.

1. Headband

This is an easy weekend project that can be accomplished in a few hours. Plus, they come in just about every style imaginable and can be customized using multiple colours of wool. Headbands are great beginner projects, and this is probably the best one of the three I’m posting here because they do not require as much fine knitting skill. Still, I love making these every winter once I’m fed up with, or have lost the hat I usually wear. Headbands are cute and cause considerably less hair damage than most hats. One I really like is from All Free Knitting. But if you want an even easier pattern, measure your head and cast on some stitches. Once you’ve done that, measure how many stitches form one inch, and then measure your head. You can then figure out how many stitches you will need (this also depends on how bulky or stretchy your wool is). The knit for one row, purl for the next, and continue alternating until the headband is wide enough. Then you can add a cute touch by twisting the fabric at the front before closing the headband. Time for project: approximately 30 minutes.

2. Boot Toppers

These are a favourite, quick fall craft. Now that we’re grabbing our boots on the daily, sometimes it’s fun to dress them up and make them a little more feminine. Though I’m currently working on some pillow covers now, boot toppers are next on my fall knitting list! Through an internet search I bookmarked one pattern from  Craftsy that claims to only take an hour. What could be quicker! These take a much smaller wool and needle than the scarf, and might be a touch more difficult if you’re a beginner because of this. I have always found it easier to use a larger needle when teaching people to knit because they get a better idea of what the stitches look like and can thus find their mistakes easier. Time for project: One hour.

3. Infinity Scarf

Now, infinity scarves are super popular these days. I made my first a few years ago. It was burgundy, beautiful, and it used size nine US needles (very chunky). Since then I have lost count of how many I’ve made because they make for great presents. I typically include two 16 row cables in each to make them pretty. I use 2 spools of Bernat wool that comes in a variety of colours: cream, burgundy, teal, charcoal, and many others. Basic pattern: cast on 52 stitches, purl 4, knit 4, purl 16, knit 4, purl 16, knit 4, purl 4. Repeat starting with knitting on the next row. I usually give eight rows between cables. When you get to the cable, reserve the first eight stitches of the 16 on a cable needle (if you don’t have one, a pencil will do), knit the other eight and then grab those you’ve put aside. This will braid the wool and create a cable. Time for project: 2-3 hours.

I hope this has been a fun read and that some of you might try your luck with knitting because it can be quite therapeutic and a great stress reliever. Keep it in mind as finals approach!

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.