This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

We all have an important role to play in conserving our environment, and that includes reducing the amount of waste we produce. While a complete zero-waste lifestyle sounds ideal, it is not feasible for everyone because so much of our everyday lives involve some sort of waste–whether that’s grocery shopping, eating out, or going for coffee. I was raised in a community where I was taught to be environmentally conscious at a young age, and growing up I’ve tried my best to implement this ideology into every part of my life. Here are some sustainable, environmentally-conscious products you can start swapping into your everyday life!

1. Reusable water bottles and mugs

This one may seem obvious, but the amount of plastic water bottles and paper coffee mugs I still see around campus is surprising. It’s such an easy way to reduce waste, and it will likely save you money! Cafes such as Starbucks, Tim Hortons, and even Concordia’s Green Beet cafe provide discounts for bringing a mug!

2. Cloth cotton rounds

I didn’t even know these existed until a few weeks ago when I saw them on an Instagram page. I always use cotton rounds in my skincare routine and feel wasteful throwing them away after one use. Luckily, these washable,reusable cloth cotton rounds from Etsy provide an environmentally friendly alternative!

3. Produce bags

Reusable produce bags are an excellent way to reduce waste when grocery shopping, especially if you buy lots of fruits and veggies. They are also great for storing foods, and for shopping at bulk stores such as Bulk Barn. They’re sold on Amazon and Well.ca.  This bag from Etsy comes in several sizes and is even made right here in Canada!

4. Food storage

This one is HUGE. Food containers produce so much waste. Taking your own container with you when you dine out eliminates the need for pesky styrofoam boxes if you don’t finish your meal. Bringing homemade meals to school not only saves you money, but also saves lots of unnecessary food packaging. There are even alternatives for food storage at home, such as beeswax wraps instead of plastic bags.

5. Loose leaf tea

I’ve been slowly learning to buy more tea in bulk and loose leaf to skip the boxes and excess packaging in boxed teas. DavidsTea not only has amazing tea, but sells loose leaf in metal tins that are perfectly reusable. For steeping loose leaf, I love DavidsTea’s Perfect Infuser.  

6. Shampoo and conditioner bars

These are an excellent way to reduce waste from shampoo bottles. Shampoo bars are so easy to use and I have found they work great for my hair type (2A type hair, which is thin, fine, and slightly wavy). My favourites are from Naples Soap Company because they have a myriad of different unique scents!

These are just a few out of many swaps you can make in your day to day life. Following Instagram users such as @sustainyoself and @zerowastecollective helped me to realize many zero-waste products I could be using. Concordia also has many events throughout the year that promote sustainability around campus. This November 28, 2018 join Sustainable Concordia, the Dish Project, Concordia University’s Center for Creative Reuse, Zero Waste Concordia, and Concordia University Art Hives for a DIY event! The event is aimed at holiday gift giving, but you’ll be able to make many sustainable products such as the produce bags and beeswax wraps mentioned in this article!

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •