books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Six Books Every True Crime Addict Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I think 2017 is a great time to be a fan of true crime. Due to the myriad of podcasts and documentaries to choose from, an interest in morbid topics is no longer considered as taboo as it once was. In that spirit, here are six of my top picks from the true crime genre. These are based on personal taste, and not all of them are considered best sellers, but they all present a window into cases that interest me. As Halloween quickly approaches, dip into one of these macabre reads.

1. Columbine by Dave Cullen

The Columbine school shooting of April 20, 1999 is an infamous case. It has been covered by the likes of Michael Moore, and is often thought of as the archetype for school shootings. Organized by two boys, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the shooting claimed 15 total victims, including both attackers. In his book, Cullen sketches the chronology of the day of the shooting as well as the months leading up to it, including a chapter detailing how Harris constructed the pipe bombs he would eventually use, and testimony from students who struggled to save a teacher’s life. Overall, Cullen’s treatment of this event is an in depth look into the world of Columbine high school and the panic that set in when two of its students went rogue. For further information on the Columbine case, Last Podcast on the Left does a two part series, and the transcripts named “Basement Tapes” are available on the internet.  

1. Devil’s Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt

The West Memphis Three case, though not as sensational as the Columbine case, has received its fair share of media attention. Three teenage boys, Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr., and Jason Baldwin were accused and convicted of murdering three young boys in Arkansas in 1993. Leveritt’s book runs through the entirety of the case, from the investigation to the trial, and even includes the most recent development in the case in 2011 which exonerated Echols, Misskelley, and Baldwin after nearly two decades in prison. For more on this case watch the documentary West of Memphis (available on Canadian Netflix), and listen to the podcast True Crime Garage’s series on the case.

1. The Night Stalker: The Life and Crimes of Richard Ramirez by Philip Carlo

The Richard Ramirez case is one that I find myself returning to time and time again. Ramirez, nicknamed “The Night Stalker,” is known for home invasion, rape, and serial murder. His spree lasted over a year, from June 1984 to August 1985, primarily in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas. Thirteen victims lost their lives to Ramirez during his spree, which he began at the tender age of 24. On trial, Ramirez drew a lot of female attention due to his “rock star” looks, to the point where he attracted a woman whom he married in prison in 1996. Carlo’s book is a painstakingly researched treatise that includes interviews with Ramirez from death row. For more, see the podcast My Favorite Murder, episode 20.

1. John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster by Sam L. Amirante

John Wayne Gacy, also known as “Pogo the Clown” and “Killer Clown” due to an unfortunate costume choice, was an American serial killer and rapist who is famous for stashing the bodies of his victims under his house. From 1972 to 1978 in Cook County, Illinois, Gacy murdered 33 young men and boys, 26 of which would be shoved into his crawl space. Gacy owned a business that allowed him access to the multiple young men and abused his power by inviting them over for parties. He would incapacitate his victims by showing them a magic trick that involved handcuffs or a rope. This book, written by Gacy’s own defense attorney (notably Gacy’s case was his first in private practice) allows a view into how Gacy presented himself to society, as a well-liked, hard-working businessman. Want more? Last Podcast on the Left has a wonderful series on Gacy that includes excerpts from this book.

1. If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer by Dominic Dunne, O.J. Simpson, and Pablo Fenjves

The O.J. Simpson case has recently been rejuvenated due to the arrival of a television series, a documentary, and news of his recent parole. This crime could not have been more sensational if it were scripted in Hollywood. It has everything from a beloved football star to domestic abuse, jealousy, and racial issues. In 1994, Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ron Goldman were found murdered outside Brown-Simpson’s apartment. Crime photos demonstrate that Brown-Simpson was so beat up that the fatal wound to her throat almost decapitated her. Police were sent to notify Simpson, and this is where things get interesting. Allegations of  improper treatment of both evidence and the crime scene as well as the supposed framing of Simpson by a racist police officer come into effect and begin to eclipse the fact that two innocent lives had been lost. It is obvious that controversy runs rampant in this case, as evidenced by the placement of the title on the cover of the book, where the “If” is reproduced in a small font while the “I Did It” is plastered across the jacket. This book discusses the relationship between Simpson and his wife as well as the events of June 12 1994, scripted to follow the events if Simpson were responsible. For more, watch O.J.: Made in America and The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.

1. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

Charles Manson is a name that anyone who is interested in true crime has heard time and time again. In the late 1960s, a community began growing under the tutelage of Charles Manson. They eventually became known as the Manson Family. On August 8-9, 1969, four members of the family, Tex Watson, Susan Atkins, Linda Kasabian, and Patricia Krenwinkel visited the home of Sharon Tate, an actress known for Valley of the Dolls, and Roman Polanski, director of Rosemary’s Baby. There, the four murdered a pregnant Tate and her houseguests Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger, and Wojciech Frykowski, as well as Leno and Rosemary LaBianca. Apparently these were not the intended victims of the Manson Family. The previous tenant, Terry Melcher, had spurned Manson by denying to help him in his musical career. Furious with Melcher, Manson sought permanent revenge. The title of the book Helter Skelter is drawn from both the Beatles song and the name Manson ascribed to a race war he predicted. Bugliosi prosecuted the Manson case in 1970, and this is his firsthand account of Manson’s, Krenwinkel’s, and Atkins’ story. For more, see the documentary Manson and podcast You Must Remember This.

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.