This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

If you’re thinking about adopting another cat, the first thing will probably imagine the two cats playing together, snuggling and cleaning each other’s fur. However, it’s still important to look at other practical logistics when thinking about getting another furry friend. Here are some tips that will ease the process of introducing a second cat into your home.

Financial Responsibility

Although this is not the most fun aspect to consider, the cost of a second animal is sometimes overlooked. Whether you are adopting a cat from a rescue network or getting a purebred; caring for your cat can get expensive. Your amount of care has just doubled due  to purchasing double the amount of food, toys and vet bills. It is important that when you select a second cat that you know you are financially prepared to take care of it. Your new friend deserves a full and healthy life where their needs can be provided for.

Space

If you’re wanting to get a new furry friend but worried about the space in your apartment, this is a non-issue. Cat expert, Jackson Galaxy shares that even if you live in a one bedroom apartment, it is possible for two cats to have plenty of space to roam and nap about. The trick is to create your space upwards instead of focusing on finding room on the ground level. You can add bookshelves, tall cat furniture, and can even wall mounted cat trees and shelving to give them the most upwards playroom as possible.

Selecting Your New Cat

According to the SPCA website, the sex of the second cat is not as important as once previously thought. The age and behaviour of both cats are the most important factors to take into consideration. However, as a general rule of thumb, adult cats are much more accepting of a new kitten into the home than they will be of a new adult cat. Since cats are naturally territorial, they may see the new cat as a threat.

Small Steps to Meeting Each Other

The most important part of ensuring a successful introduction of your new and resident cat.is letting the cats meet each other. It can sometimes take weeks or even months for the cats to accept and integrate fully,but taking the time to get them used to each other is worth the time.

Firstly, when you bring the new cat home, keep it enclosed in a room with its food, water, bedding and litter box. After a week, you can then take toys belonging to each cat and exchange their scents with one another. This will give them a gradual introduction to each other’s smell, without fully overwhelming them. After they’ve gotten used to each other’s smell, you can then begin to feed them on opposite sides of the door, which will help them see that eating near another cat as a positive thing.

You can then let your new cat explore your home. Just keep your resident cat in another room while the new cat is exploring around.

It’s crucial that you supervise the cats’ behaviour and intervene if they become aggressive. You can distract them with other toys and remove the new cat for a bit if the aggression persists. However, do not remove the resident cat from the situation as it may see view it as a punishment from simply protecting “their” home.

Continue to supervise both cats as they get used to each other. It may be a process at first, but considering all these steps is key for a successful addition to your family.

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •