This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Current events can be draining to watch and make you feel helpless and small. Sometimes, you might not understand how events started to happen in the first place and feel behind, confused or late. This article is for those who tend to get upset or overwhelmed when watching the news. Although you can learn a lot from coverages about different cultures, places and people, sometimes it can become too heavy and bring you down. 

Here are some tips to help you stay informed about the world around you without it bring you down:

Be in a good state of mind before you turn on the news

If you’re already feeling down and you feel that the news is going to upset you more, skip it for the night. Being in a neutral or good mood could shield you from getting yourself down.

Stop watching when you’ve had enough

It’s important to stay informed and to be aware of what’s going on around you. However, it’s also okay to turn it off or stop when you feel like you’ve had enough. Don’t feel like you must watch the entire program because you’ve started. Usually, they show the most important information at the start of the broadcast.

You don’t have to watch or read the news every single day

The world isn’t going to blow up in a day, and if something were to trigger it to, thanks to high-speed internet and social media, you will hear about it in some way.

Turn off some of your news notifications

Too many notifications can be overwhelming and annoying at times. Turn some of those options off on your phone to feel unfettered.

Try to listen instead of watching

If some images disturb you, it could be a good idea to only listen to the journalists from a podcast or putting the screen low. Depending on the report, some images shown can be violent or uncomfortable. Indeed, avoiding this imagery could help you better take in current events. 

Bad events usually get the most coverage, so expect that

Unfortunate events aren’t covered on the news every day, but let’s be real, the bad things that happen are usually the most impactful and get the most coverage. Maybe you’ve heard of an influential event that made you uncomfortable. It’s likely to be covered more frequently. Expect that story to be on the news, so you can prepare to hear more about it, and aren’t surprised.

The news isn’t always terrible events, but between, political scandals, war, sexual assault cases and economic issues, it’s unavoidable. Even though it’s important to stay informed, it’s also important to take a breather with things that unsettle you.

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.