Rating Fall Drinks At Starbucks: 2020 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Once again, September has rolled around, and my inner basic girl has risen. The moment Starbucks releases their pumpkin lattes for the season, I’m instantly in line waiting for my first sip of pumpkin goodness. Since I was 14, the Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) at Starbucks has been my favourite coffee drink ever. Call me basic, but the first sip of a cozy, spiced pumpkin-infused coffee makes me feel like I’m cozied up in a sweater in the park with shades of orange and amber falling around me. 

I decided to go a little wild this fall and try some other fall drinks from Starbucks. This idea started when my local Starbucks ran out of pumpkin spice one day, and I decided to switch it up. I love fall as a whole, so I knew I would love any drink that Starbucks designs for this perfect season. I was not disappointed by any of their creations. Here are my findings.

Salted Caramel Mocha

I tried this drink a few times, and never was a huge fan. It didn’t taste any different from a regular mocha drink to me. However, this season I was surprised. I don’t know if my taste buds changed a little or if this particular barista made it super well, but this drink was exquisite. I was able to taste the strong hints of caramel and salt, which  brought the drink to life. This drink is perfect for you if you like a traditional mocha, but want to spice it up a bit.

Apple Oat Flat White

I’m not going to lie; I was nervous to try apple and coffee together. The combination sounded so wildly different. I didn’t know what to expect. A friend convinced me to try it, and after a few days of consideration, I was so glad I did. This drink is simply a flat white made with oat milk and added apple taste. The apple paired nicely with the coffee, adding a very autumn-esque twist to a classic espresso drink. The oat milk added another dimension, throwing in an oat-like taste and simultaneously making the beverage dairy-free. This is a great option if you want to try something completely different than any other drink on Starbucks’ menu.

Classic PSL

Ah yes, the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte. As usual, this drink remains a classic favourite. If you’ve never tried a PSL, and you love pumpkin, this drink is a must. It’s a perfect blend of creamy sweet pumpkin, with hints of coffee and autumn spices. Topped with whipped cream, this decadent beverage serves as a perfect dessert-like snack for a fall day. 

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

At the recommendation of many Tik Tok accounts, I tried the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew on a day I had an exceptional amount of work to do at the office, and it powered me through the day. I’m upset I didn’t try this drink sooner because it’s perfect. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that a PSL is not always the best option for me as it’s so sweet and heavy that it sometimes feels like too much. The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is a cold brew coffee topped with foamy pumpkin cream. It offers a less sweet alternative to the PSL, and the coffee taste shines through among the delicious pumpkin cream. This is a perfect option for those warmer autumn days.

Pumpkin Chai Latte with Apple, topped with Pumpkin Cream

This drink came at the recommendation of a friend, and while it’s extremely decadent, it was one of the best drinks I’ve tried at Starbucks. There’s a myriad of flavours, with the chai, pumpkin, and apple, but it’s the ideal blend of essential autumn elements. If you’re looking for a drink to embody what fall feels and tastes like, this drink is a must.

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.