This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Just like all of us on a school night, we stay up way longer than we should. However, the positive side to this is that most of the time we discover something new! So there I was, scrolling through Instagram only to see dozens of posts about the new Fenty makeup line. Many makeup artists were posting pictures and videos reviewing the product, and I couldn’t pass up the idea of trying it for myself!

The fact that I had no idea that Rihanna had been working on this line for quite a while encouraged me to do some research on her brand. Did ya’ll know that the brand name for Fenty products isn’t just some random mix up of letters that sound good?

Fenty is Rihanna’s, or should I say Robyn’s last name. I just discovered that Rihanna’s real name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty. Either I’m late or ya’ll are just as surprised. But I think I’m just late.

Anyway, so I did some research and have you seen the collection? I mean, 40.different.shades.

I used to work in the cosmetics section at a pharmacy, and let me tell you, there were countless times that clients would struggle to find their perfect shade. It was hard for me to help them find the right shade when a lot of brands didn’t offer many colours.

But voila! Rihanna has heard the complaints and she put her Fenty cape on to come to the rescue!

I know why you came here, you want to see if I have a review for you? Well, you’re in luck!

So I went to Sephora and got a sample of the shade 130. Yes, I know, I’m pale.

The Sephora employee put the primer on for me, and she put way too much!

TIP: If you have combination skin like I do, do not apply too much primer. Why? Because it makes your skin matte and the foundation itself is matte. So matte + matte = too much matte! What I notice about matte foundation on my skin is that any dry areas on my face will attempt to suck any moisture out of the foundation and that clogs my pores which will then lead to lines or cracks on my skin. Almost like a matte lipstick on really dry lips.

Soon after she applied the primer, she put on the foundation. She used the Fenty brush as well and that felt amazing against my skin.

Initially, the foundation looked flawless. Though, I don’t usually like the texture of matte foundation on my skin, so that was a setback.

I had quite a few errands to run that day, and it was really hot out. After a few hours out and about, I got home and it was a horror! I looked in the mirror and my skin looked orange!

So I decided to do some research and see what others thought about the foundation. I went onto YouTube to see if maybe the way it was applied was the reason for my bad experience, but the reviews did say that the Fenty is an oxidizing foundation. If you’re unsure of what that means, it basically means that the colour gets darker once it fully dries. So, my face was a lot darker than I thought it would be. This is mostly a result of choosing the wrong colour for my skin. A lot of the reviews were mixed, for example Jackie Aina said she loved the products but could do without the tools (brush, sponge) and NikkieTutorials said it wasn’t really the best foundation she’s tried. I also checked out what Jeffree Star had to say and he said he really liked it. So I guess it really depends on your skin. Just be sure to get the right tone!

I am also one to sweat easily, and I saw that my pores were so blocked because of the matte effect that my sweat bubbled. So this is another reason as to why my experience with the product wasn’t so great.

However, this is not all said because I think the foundation sucks. I really just think it is one I would prefer to wear when 1. I know I won’t sweat and 2. I know I’m wearing the right tone.

Other than that, the coverage is really great. You only need 1-2 pumps for your entire face!

I’m really curious to hear other reviews, because I feel like I have bad experiences with a lot of makeup because my skin doesn’t like to cooperate! Leave a comment below to let me know what you all thought about the foundation or if you have any tips about making it cooperate with my skin!

Ultimately, I’m still looking forward to trying the other Fenty products like the highlighters, the contour and concealer! Next time I’ll be sure to get the right tone for my skin and hopefully that experience will be better than the first. Otherwise, maybe this product just really doesn’t work for my skin, which is totally fine! But I won’t give up on it that easy!

Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.