An Open Letter to My Former “Person”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

“Losing a best friend doesn’t happen overnight. Losing a best friend is slow and painful as can be. There is always that final slap in the face when you realize, that your best friend is no longer your best…”

-Theory Ray

To my former best friend,

Hi, how are you? It’s been a while and I miss you terribly. However, I’ve come to the realization that we will probably never have the same friendship that we did. As hard as it is for me to say this, I think it’s for the best. I wish that we didn’t have to go through this. I wish that one day you will pick up the phone and call me, and everything will be like old times again. I know those days are long gone and the cracks are just too deep for us to patch our friendship together with a hug, a smile or a simple I’m sorry. This is not a letter explaining the details of some big betrayal of my trust or a fight that can’t be reconciled. It’s just a simple truth. We grew apart. This letter is not meant to place blame or point any fingers; it is meant as an apology and a thank you. 

I would first like to apologize for giving up on us, for closing the door on our friendship and never looking back. You were my person — my other half. As we grew up and began to experience the ins and outs of adulthood, we got lost. We lost each other, and as time passed by, it became harder and harder to find “us.” As we grew apart, I started learning to depend on myself more than you for support and I began to resent you for it. I resented you for not being there for me anymore and for that, I apologize. I apologize for holding in all of that hurt and anger for so long. I apologize for letting it drive a wedge between us and for not seeing that things can never stay the same forever.  You found love, and our distance made it impossible for you to be there every time I needed you. 

Although we have found ourselves on different paths, I want to thank you. Thank you for allowing me to play such an important and pivotal role in your life and for trusting me with your most precious secrets and innermost thoughts. Thank you for always being honest with me and always steering me in the right direction. Thank you for the memories and allowing me into your home, your heart and into the lives of the people you cherish most in this world. Thank you for being my number one fan and my escape when I needed it. Thank you for being what I needed.

He is your person now and that’s okay because I know that you are loved and cherished. You are deserving of all the love, the adoration and the praise. I will always be there for you. I will always be one phone call away and I will always be there cheering you on from the sidelines, sending a heart to every Facebook picture and a like to every status you post.  However, it’s time for us to say our long awaited goodbyes. There will never be a day that you do not cross my mind or a day I will not wish the best for you. The hurt of losing you still lingers, but I will always value the memories. 

Know that this separation is not stemming from a place of hate or despair but from a place of love and respect. I will always love you and am grateful to have called you a best friend.

Love always,

Your former “person”

D'Ante Hanna

Concordia CA

My name is D'Ante Hanna, I was born and raised in Nassau,Bahamas. I am 22 years old and currently studying Political Science at Concordia University in Montreal Quebec.I moved to Canada a little over two years ago and hope to make this my permanent home. I hope to one day become a news anchor for a major broadcasting company and make a difference in the world. I love volunteering and traveling. Writing comes naturally to me, being a very critical thinker it allows me to express my creativity in a functional and soothing way. Not only do I love to write but I also love reading and public speaking, I hope to one day become a best selling author. A quote that I live by is "The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”– Ayn Rand.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.