New Year, New You: Make Your Resolutions Count This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

So here we are Collegiettes, in 2018.

The holidays are over, New Year’s Eve has come and gone, and just like that, 2017 has slipped by in the blink of an eye. This, however, is not a eulogy for things past. On the contrary, this is a warm welcome to 2018 and all the possibilities it brings. Now that the whirlwind of the holidays is over, it’s time to focus on starting fresh.

The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to start prioritizing what you want, and, figuring out how to get it. Yes, that’s right, New Year’s resolutions. We’ve all tried them out before, but how many of us have actually stuck with them? Whether we want to focus on health, school, relationships, breaking bad little habits or developing good habits, if you want to stick to your New Year’s resolutions it’s never as simple as just making a mental list (or even a physical list). That’s not to say they’re impossible; it just takes more than a decision made on a whim.

1. If you can’t stop thinking about it, don’t stop working for it As I was saying, New Year’s resolutions don’t really work if they’re made on a whim. If you really want to make a change, you might want to try to find something that you’ve been thinking about and wanting to change or achieve for a long time. Once you’ve pinpointed what that is, then it’s time to set some goals.

2. Keep it simple So while everyone’s been preoccupied with that New Year’s Eve midnight kiss, there’s also some kissing involved in setting your New Year’s resolutions. That was my cute, little way of saying Keep It Simple Stupid. Fun fact: the KISS principle is a design principle that comes from the world of engineering. A wise man (https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/kiss-keep-it-simpl…) said that if products weren’t simple and easy to understand, then they would become obsolete.

The same thing applies to your New Year’s resolutions. If your path to your goals is full of twists and turns, you’re likely to abandon it. But if it’s worth having, then it should be worth doing some research to simplify the path to get there. Find some people who are in the situation you hope to be in and find out what tools you’ll need to get there; there’s no shame in asking for some help, and you’d be surprised at how much people love to spill their secrets! If that fails, then there’s always the old standby: Google it! Chances are, there’s someone out there who’s had the success you crave, and they might have even documented the whole experience.

3. Make your resolutions outlive the “new year” feeling I have a friend who makes resolutions on his birthday, rather than Jan. 1. While he does this out of a bit of pessimism that New Year’s resolutions simply don’t last, he might be on to something. Just because January only lasts so long, that doesn’t mean that your resolutions have to have a short lifespan, too. Make your New Year’s resolutions an all-year-round thing by giving yourself periodic “check-in” times to hold yourself accountable. Whether it’s the first of each month, every three-month mark, or on your birthday, setting a check-in date can help you realize where you might be slipping, or maybe how far you’ve come in your goals! You could even find a friend who’s looking to be just as dedicated to their resolutions, and check in with each other.

So whether you’re tired of having resolutions that you never keep, or you’re new to the whole process, New Year’s resolutions can totally be worth it. Light a candle for 2017, and start making room for all the good things that 2018 is sure to bring!

Happy New Year, Collegiettes, let’s make it a good one!  

Marian Rebeiro

Concordia CA

Marian is currently a Communications diploma student at Concordia University, and holds a BA in Art History and English Lit from Carleton University. Some of her interests include sweet & salty snack foods, good origin stories, and infusing academia with pop culture. When Marian isn't traveling intrepidly or tearing it up on the dance floor, she's out proving that curiosity doesn't, in fact, kill the cat.  You can follow Marian's adventures on Instagram and Twitter.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.