Style > Beauty

My Experience With the Popular “Hair Dye” Overtone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I love playing around with my hair colour. In the past few years, I’ve dyed my hair various shades of strawberry blonde. As a natural redhead, it’s difficult to maintain blonde. This meant toning my hair almost every week, and bleaching my red roots every month or so. As much as I loved my blonde hair, the upkeep was way too expensive. Plus, it was extremely damaging, and my hair became brittle and dry. So, last October, I had my hair professionally dyed back to my natural dark auburn and cut it to my shoulders to reduce the dead ends. I liked it, but my constant need for change meant I longed to do something different again. 

Like most of my generation, I was influenced by an Instagram ad. I came across Overtone while scrolling through my feed and was intrigued. I did a bit more research on the company and what its users have to say. Overtone claims to be a colour depositing conditioner, which means it’s more nourishing and, therefore, less damaging to your hair. It’s semi-permanent as well, which means the user needs to apply the colour often if they want it to last. I thought this would be a great buy as I wanted to try a darker brown colour. However, I didn’t trust myself with traditional boxed dye. I still wanted to test the colour before paying to get it professionally, and therefore permanently, dyed.  

I decided to try the Colouring Conditioner in Espresso Brown. On the website, it shows a chart of what the result will likely be based off your current hair colour. According to that chart, my hair would turn a rich, beautiful chestnut brown. I applied it about 15 minutes before my shower, as the instructions suggested. As soon as I stepped in the shower and began rinsing it out, I noticed my hair was extremely silky. It felt as if I used a deep conditioner, which I appreciated as somebody who typically has dry hair. This result made me more excited to see the colour, which I couldn’t tell while my hair was still wet.  

hair dye
artursfoto via Pixabay

When I got out of the shower and dried my hair, however, the results were underwhelming. My hair was darker, but barely. It was nothing like the website had predicted. I had ensured to apply a generous amount to my roots, as they seemed a lighter red than the rest of my hair. Yet the dye barely showed on my roots. That area was still noticeably orange. It also fadedquickly; I noticed after a few showers, my hair was looking red again. Overtone does offer a Daily Conditioner, which is supposed to reduce fading, but I didn’t purchase this because I wanted to save money. 

Overall I found Overtone to be extremely underwhelming. I tried applying the product a second time and had the same results. Although it made my hair feel incredibly healthy and soft, the dye was not strong. At $29 per tub, I was expecting better results. They offer a wide variety of bright and vibrant colours, which I have not tried, which may yield better results. But if you’re looking to dye your hair a natural colour, I’d opt for just paying the money to get it professionally done (or, if you trust yourself, sticking to a regular ol’ box dye). 

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.