Mo’ Staches, Mo’ Money, Mo’ Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Now that Halloween is done and Christmas is still a little ways away, it’s time to bask in the mediocrity that is November- it’s cold, it’s wet, and it may even be a little snowy.

Despite the weather, for men’s health November is a month of hope, promise and health. With a little help from some facial hair, people around the world come together to raise money to combat certain cancers, such as prostate cancer.

The premise is simple: grow a moustache, spread awareness and donate what you can.

The movement began in 2003 when Travis Garone and Luke Slattery went for a beer in Australia and first thought of the idea. They managed to get 30 friends on board and from that point on, Movember was born.

November of 2004 proved to be a life-changing one for Slattery and Galone, as they were encouraged by all the positive awareness and conversation they were able to generate simply by altering their appearance with moustaches. It was then that they decided to officially create the Movember Foundation website, which allowed people across oceans to join them and take the no-shave plunge. 

According to the Foundation just over 5 million people (Mo Bros and Mo Sistas) in 22 countries have taken the pledge. Over $759 million has been raised and 1,200 men’s health projects have been funded since Movember’s humble beginnings in an Australian bar 13 years ago.

Movember isn’t the only non-profit organization raising funds for cancer with body hair. No-Shave November has a similar concept, but since it is not limited to moustaches, it encourages the participation of women.

“The goal of No-Shave November is to grow awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free,” reads the No Shave November website. “Donate the money you typically spend on shaving and grooming to educate about cancer prevention, save lives, and aid those fighting the battle.”

No-Shave November was started by Matthew Hill’s eight children after he died from colon cancer in 2007. Since its foundation in 2009, No-Shave November has raised over $2 million dollars for cancer research. 

As well as collect donations, both organizations contribute the funds from their online stores. People can buy caps, shirts, hoodies or bracelets to support the causes. 

According to the World Health Organization, cancer killed 8.2 million people in 2012 with approximately 14 million new cases diagnosed in the same year. The WHO also believes that the number of new cases will rise about 70 per cent over the next two decades.

Sarah Kossits

Concordia CA

Sarah is a 21-year-old journalism student in Montreal looking to break down some barriers and make a name for herself in the sports journalism world! She loves all things hockey, horses, and spends her free time reading as many books as she possibly can.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.