How To Deal With Montreal Construction When You Live in Front of It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Montreal is infamous for its numerous construction projects that get started but never seem to get finished. Between the noticeable delays, and abandoned operations, Montreal always seems to be in the process of changing and improving. With the winter season approaching, it seems like every other street in the city is a construction sight before the heavy snow takes over. In my four years living in various neighborhoods, from NDG to the Plateau and now to the Downtown area, I have never been able to escape the construction ruckus. Here are a few tips I’ve learned throughout the years that have taught me how to deal with the constant construction.

Find out where the construction is

The city of Montreal created a map where you can see all the construction sites in the city. By looking at the map, you can truly tell that this city is constantly developing and under construction. They provide an approximate construction end date, unfortunately as it’s well known, the city  is quite unreliable to this. Check it out here.

Walk away from the noise

This is quite an obvious one, but it is rather a simple solution to the problem. However, this may be tougher during the pandemic, but if you are able to get away while they are in the full swing of things, it is better than being miserable and waiting for it to end.

Adapt to the routine of construction

A less attractive option since construction can legally start at the early hour of 7am on weekdays. However, getting an earlier start to your day can be advantageous and help you avoid the noise and the chaos

Invest in noise-cancelling headphones or ear plugs

You could plug your ears to block the noise. Another idea that I have found to be useful is to play music over the construction. It softens the ruckus with sound you actually enjoy.

Keep an eye out for upcoming construction flyers

By law, the city is supposed to post construction warnings for upcoming work in your neighborhood. Look out for those in your mailbox or in your apartment’s lobby so you can be prepared and not wake up to a noisy surprise.

Know when Montreal construction workers have vacations

This year from December 20 to January 2, construction workers will be on vacation, so you will get a break from the noise and ruckus outside your window. Additionally, on national holidays, most construction workers have the day off. However, if it’s deemed as an emergency, construction will go on during the holidays.

Don’t think about it too much

The more you think about it, the more likely you are to be bothered by it. It’s unpleasant but it can’t last forever – or can it?

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.