books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How Concordia Students Can Network in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Ah networking!  Networking has been a hot topic for the past few years.  Companies are digitizing and modernizing; job descriptions are changing and broadening; and people simply don’t stay put anymore.  According to a 2014 Workopolis article written by Peter Harris, “job hopping is the new normal.” In fact, a 2014 Workopolis research report found that only 30 per cent of Canadians stay in one job for over four years.

In such a “job hopping” age, it’s important to make as many connections as possible, to keep options open and possibilities endless.

Concordia students are young and eager to get out on the workforce, but as they are new to their field, kicking off the connection-building can be a bit scary.

Here are some ways for Concordia students to network in Montreal:

1. Search relentlessly 

Check sites like EventBrite or Nightlife, as well as Concordia and other university websites for fun networking events.  Even if the events aren’t directly related to your field, they might be related to topics that interests you and could attract the kind of people you want to meet.  

2. Attend events that aren’t necessarily for networking

Sometimes, networking happens when you least expect it.  According to Business Dictionary, networking begins by “creating a group of acquaintances and associates, and keeping it active through regular communication for mutual benefit.” It all starts with simple, polite interactions.  Attend an art exhibition, listen to one of Concordia’s free weekly conferences and lectures or watch a documentary screening by the university’s Cinema Politica on Mondays.  Strike up a conversation about the event.  When you place yourself within these settings, people are open to conversation and discussion.

3. Follow-up

According to Forbes, this step is crucial. So you’ve met some really interesting people, and they gave you their cards. Chances are there is an email on that card.  Shoot them an email the next day to say it was nice to meet them, to send them the article you were discussing or just to continue the discussion. By keeping the dialogue open, not only are you showing you care, but you are also engraving your name and face in their heads for future reference.

4. Talk to your professors

In a university setting, students are lucky to be surrounded by people who have and continue to accomplish amazing things. Those profs at the front of the class whose lectures your listen to, who gives you assignments and readings—they’ve traveled, researched, written a thesis, given conferences and maybe even won an award, or eight. Talk to your professors: ask questions, talk about your interests, your concerns, your aspirations. Not only will you learn from their experiences but they will also remember you, and might just think of you if any of their friends are looking for an intern or research assistant. According to MediaShift journalist Laura Simonis, “you need to do more than ask for a letter of recommendation. You need to establish a professional connection with another person, just as you would any other professional you meet who you think could help you along the way. Only this connection is better because they know more than your name. (Professors) know your strengths and weaknesses.”

I'm Dani- a 21-year-old journalism and film student from Montreal. I have an insatiable curiosity and a deep love for movies, coffee, running and BBC docs. I am interested in all things society, life, human rights and health.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.