emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

With the start of February comes two certainties. The first is that your New Year’s resolutions are presumably given up on or forgotten. The second is that we have officially entered new holiday territory. Put away your Santa hats and your 2017 confetti poppers, because it’s time to focus on our new fixation, love. Most people think of February as the month that brings about Valentine’s Day- and while that may the official holiday marked on the calendars, it is not the best holiday February has to offer. The extra special day we should be focusing on is actually the 13th, and it is called Galentine’s Day. 

Galentine’s Day is a holiday originally presented by comedian Amy Poehler’s character Leslie Knope, in her now concluded TV show, Parks and Recreation.  It, like Valentine’s Day, is meant to celebrate love and relationships, but unlike Valentine’s Day, it focuses primarily on gal pals, hence the name. On the show, Knope introduces the day and celebrates her female friends with a scrumptious brunch, and, in classic Leslie Knope fashion, over-the-top gifts. Since its original air date in 2010, the once fictional holiday has become many women’s reality. 

One quick Google search demonstrates how popular the holiday has become with female friends of the world. One key point to note, however, is that the day is not just for single women. The whole notion of Galentine’s Day is not to replace or make up for a lack of Valentine’s Day plans. What Galentine’s Day is meant to do is not compete with romantic love, but rather compliment it with some good old fashioned platonic girl love.

In Leslie Knope’s own words: “What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year!” 

If the idea intrigues you but you’re not sure how to go about celebrating, just know that plans can be flexible. Although the episode primarily focuses on brunch, women are not limited to specific meals in order to enjoy the beauty that is Galentine’s Day. Whether you and your gals want to hang at home in your PJs or get dressed up and go dancing, every activity is welcome. Plans themselves could also range from chill to Leslie-Knope-extravagant. No matter the activity, the point remains the same: to take time out of your day to celebrate your girlfriends and the strong bond you all share. 

Jenny Mourad

Concordia CA

Jenny is a Communication and Cultural Studies student with a minor in Psychology. She is your average multicultural, book reading, Netflix watching, wine loving girl. She is passionate about all sorts of topics but has a special place in her heart for representation in the media. She doesn't know what the future holds for her but she is excited to find out.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.