This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The new semester has just started and here are five ways to kick start it.

Attend recruitment events

This semester, many student associations are hosting recruitment and networking cocktails during January. Since most companies are seeking candidates for an internship and other positions, they are visiting universities in Montreal. Attending the recruitment and networking cocktails would be a great way to learn about new positions and apply ahead of time. Getting a job can be difficult due to high competition. By networking with recruiters before applying for the position, they can help you stand out from the crowd and get an interview.

Join new clubs/associations

People have different motives for joining a club or student association. Some students join an association to add value to their career profile, while others do it to meet new people and get out of their comfort zone. Becoming a part of a club/association helps to grow on a personal and professional level. Besides classes, it is a great way to gain knowledge in your field of studies and build your skillset. It will allow students, especially in business, to gain exposure to the  corporate world and meet industry professionals. School can be stressful with assignments, and exams, but joining an association will help you achieve an excellent social and academic experience. 

Organize and prioritize important dates ahead of time

In university, the workload from classes is high which can get stressful. It becomes difficult to manage time especially when the semester is at its peak. To avoid procrastination, it would be best to write and organize the important due dates (assignment and exams) in your calendar ahead of time. This will allow you to keep track of any important due dates and account for the progress you have made in preparing to submit your assignments.   

Set goals

When I first started university, my goal for studying outside of classes was five hours a day. Now that I am in my third year, the time needed to study is more than that. Setting this goal helped me divide my time between school and fun. It motivated me to achieve excellent grades and keep going at it. Setting a goal can help you make better choices and achieve success in university.

Participate in new activities

Growing up I learned from my sister that one of the best ways to overcome stress during school or in life is to play a sport. Working out or doing yoga are some activities that are helpful to destress. Not only will it help you remain fit, but it will further improve your mental health. It can also help increase one’s concentration in school and stay focused. Volunteering in events on campus is a great way to deal with stress and pressure from school. There are many volunteering opportunities offered to students on both campuses (SGW and Loyola). Not only will volunteering in events on campus result in a fun experience but it will also help one overcome stress. 

Yashaswi Vig

Concordia CA '21

Yashaswi is currently a student at Concordia University. She moved to Canada at the age of 14 to Ontario, started off her University in Nova Scotia and is currently living in Montreal. She is very adventurous and loves to travel!
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.