Five Recipes That Will Help You Learn to Love Tofu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

If you’re skeptical of tofu, or you know someone who hates it, you need to get acquainted with these five recipes. Tofu can easily turn into bland mush if not prepared properly, which is probably why so many people are turned off by it. However, tofu has so many health benefits. According to Mark Bittman from the New York Times, tofu can help reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease if consumed regularly. Plus, the possibilities for cooking with tofu are literally endless. You can make breakfasts, soups, and desserts with tofu, or even use it as a replacement for chicken. After trying these recipes, you will definitely never see tofu the same way again.

1. General Tao Tofu

Ricardo, a celebrity chef from Quebec, has an impressive selection of delicious tofu recipes in his repertoire. This General Tao tofu recipe incorporates crispy tofu with sweet and spicy sauce. Served with steamed rice and vegetables like broccoli, this dish will please your taste buds and your wallet—you don’t need to get take out when you can prepare this cheap, easy dish at home! If you hate tofu and much prefer the chicken version of this recipe, I challenge you to try it with tofu. Ricardo has developed such a delicious combination of ingredients for the sauce. You won’t be able to get enough of it. You can find the recipe here.   

2. Tofu Balls

Despite its unappealing name, this recipe has provided me with one of the most surprising, delicious, and almost magical culinary experiences I have ever encountered. I am not exaggerating when I say Ricardo is a legitimate master when it comes to doing amazing things with tofu. This recipe is worth a try even if they just look like strange grey spheres. The sauce, the spices, the texture – yum! Try adding them to your favourite grain bowl or Buddha bowl recipe, or just pair them with pita bread and a simple cucumber and tomato salad. You can find the recipe here  

3. Miso and Soba Noodle Soup with Roasted Sriracha Tofu

Miso soup is a classic recipe that uses tofu. This version, however, incorporates roasted vegetables and sriracha-roasted tofu, which differs from the regular cubes of silken tofu usually featured in miso soup. According to blogger Alanna from The Bojon Gourmet, the caramelized flavour from the roasted tofu and vegetables add depth and flavour to the broth. The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it, adding different vegetables you have on hand or just tickle your fancy. You can find the recipe here.   

4. Tofu Banh Mi

A Banh Mi is a Vietnamese baguette sandwich, and, personally, the best kind of sandwich. Tofu Banh Mi, according to Slate contributor L.V. Anderson, is usually best executed when the tofu is (1) frozen and thawed beforehand and (2) just cooked and seasoned, not marinated. She explains that freezing the tofu keeps it from getting mushy, falling apart, or sticking to the pan. It’s the best method for removing sogginess, according to Anderson. She also explains that marinating tofu often creates an overpowering salty taste. Just cooking it in the pan and seasoning it with a mixture of sweet and savoury elements, such as the fish sauce and sugar used in this recipe, creates well-balanced, flavourful tofu. The best thing about this recipe is the combination of equally delicious homemade tangy marinated vegetables and warm, savoury, caramelized tofu. Find the recipe here

5. Spicy Mushroom and Spinach Tofu Scramble

This spicy mushroom and spinach tofu scramble will change your mind about having tofu for breakfast forever. Not only is it protein-rich and filling, but it is also flavourful and has a lot of other things going on than just plain tofu. Incorporating mushrooms and spinach into the mix adds different kinds of textures that complement the tofu. Nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheesy taste to the dish, and the jalapeño adds a much-needed kick. Plus, it doesn’t take much longer to make than regular scramble eggs. The recipe is by The Veganista Foodie and you can find it here

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.