This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Whether you are getting ready to go out with friends or on a romantic date, you need these five essential makeup products.

Foundation

The most essential of all the makeup products is the foundation. It’s the first product we use as a base to prepare our skin for other products. It also helps to make your face stand out after you have added other makeup products on your eyes. Another purpose most girls use a foundation is to hide any acne scars or spots. There are different types of foundations which can be used for different events. For work and school, I like to keep it light. I apply a little bit of foundation to help my skin feel fresh and ready. However, for special events like parties, cocktail, and galas, I wear the double wear Estee Lauder foundation, which is quite heavy. For such occasions, I wear a few layers, which is why the double wear helps blend well and last longer.

Mascara

Most girls love wearing mascara to make their eyes stand out or to give their lashes a different texture. For social events, school, or work, you know you can rely on it to complete your look for the day. To be honest, I have thin lashes, and not all mascaras suit me. So, I use NYX and Lakme mascara. The NYX mascara is soft and feels gentle when I wear it on my lashes. I have had bad experiences with different brands, as my lashes are thin. I used the Lancôme mascara, and it felt rough every time I applied it. It also made my lashes fall out. It didn’t suit me at all. I used it for a month and then my mother suggested to try the brand Essence. Ever since I started using the 3 triple black mascara from Essence, my eyes feel so much better and more comfortable.

Highlighter

This product has become everyone’s favorite, as it is very helpful and essential for major events. If you are in a mood to dress up or are going to attend a party, you need a highlighter palette. The product, which comes in various forms, like powder or gel, helps make your face glow and shine. Most makeup tutorials by celebrities demonstrate the best way to wear highlighter. Simply apply a little bit on your cheekbones, the tip of your nose and your chin.  

Eyeshadow Palette

After we finish doing the base makeup: we go on to eye makeup. The best part about an eyeshadow pallet is that it allows one to perfectly color coordinate your outfit with your makeup. Eye makeup can be based on the events you attend. For parties, metallic colors like silver, gold, bronze fit well. I like to use the Naked Palette eye shadows. It has different types of shades, that fit well with my outfits and skin color.

Eyeliner

Most girls like to wear none or a thin layer of eyeliner. Some girls wear eyeshadow instead of applying eyeliner. I like wearing the winged style eyeliner, as it makes my eyes stand out and goes well with all my outfits.  

New makeup products are continuously being launched by cosmetic companies. These five  makeup products are my essential to use and carry along to work or a party.

Yashaswi Vig

Concordia CA '21

Yashaswi is currently a student at Concordia University. She moved to Canada at the age of 14 to Ontario, started off her University in Nova Scotia and is currently living in Montreal. She is very adventurous and loves to travel!
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.