samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Best Coffee Shops to Study in Montreal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Choosing a study location is just as hard as choosing a place to hang out on a Friday night. Trust me, I know the process. At this point of the semester, you are probably tired of wandering around the library floors to find a decent place to study at while holding your – almost lukewarm homemade coffee. Do not worry, your girl got you! I have listed for my fellow collegiettes a few coffee shops that have made studying easier for me in the last three years of college.

1. Second Cup

I have been a big Second Cup fan for my studies for years now. My motto is “when in doubt, go to Second Cup.” Let me tell you why I have been so loyal to this joint. Firstly, they have multiple locations in the city. There are two Second Cups between Peel and Guy street alone! Most importantly, most of their locations run 24/7 – which can be accommodating when cramming the night before or if one prefers to study at night. There is a good variety of drinks and pastries for a relatively good price. Most Second Cups are situated very close to a Starbucks, and whatever the argument may be about which brand offers better quality drinks, Second Cup is definitely more affordable for students. However, because of all the amazing perks of this coffee shop, it tends to be very crowded during exam season. If you’re going throughout the semester, finding a seat is a piece of cake. However, if you chose this as your exam period location, beware that you will have to come during the early hours of the day to find a good seat (you know, right next to a wall plug).

1. Java U (Old Port)

There are a few locations of Java U in Montreal, but the one on St-Jacques St. is my absolute favorite. First of all, it is very low-key and almost never crowded. Customers are usually tourists or business employees who simply walk in and out of the coffee shop leaving you with loads of extra seats to choose from. As fancy looking as the place may be, the drinks prices are surprisingly affordable. I have never spent more than five dollars and I have always been greatly satisfied. I characterize it as the undiscovered study spot of Montreal – there are barely any students present there which keeps the noise to a minimum. After a good study session, you can reward yourself with a walk in the rustic streets of the Old Port of Montreal. For the chillier times, this specific location is conveniently located near the Square-Victoria metro station.

1. September Surf Cafe  

If you are looking for a more zen ambiance, this is the place for you. Music is usually kept very low and the simple décor takes away any risks of distraction while doing your heavy readings. The overall relaxing ambiance is very helpful for those who get easily distracted, but cannot study at home either. They have mixed reviews online when it comes to their coffee flavours, however, I have never had a bad experience with their products. The only bummer is the schedule: they close at 6 p.m. on weekdays, and 5 p.m. on weekends.

1. TOI, MOI & CAFÉ  

This coffee shop is, in my opinion, more suitable for dates or one-on-one meetings due to the amazingly intimate seating arrangements that are not necessarily found in the other coffee shops listed. This joint offers a few advantages for the Instagram woman: it is almost impossible to take a bad photo in this place! The food looks good and tastes good as well. It is a win-win situation. Talking about the food, their repertoire includes breakfast options such as eggs and bacon for the early comers. With a closing hour of 11 p.m., it gives you and your companion enough time to try their wide variety of coffees!

1. Presse Café

Presse Café has a dear place in my heart due to the good service I have always received by their employees. Most of their reviews confirm that they offer a very friendly service to their clientele and that does not seem to differ from one location to another. Popular locations are usually in busy areas of the city: near metros, crowded bus stations, etc. Consequently, the place is rarely ever silent. Every time the door opens, you hear a glimpse of the noisy outside world. That is why I recommend this place mostly for group meetings. Seating availabilities are usually good, and the coffee and food options are varied as well. The coffee shop is mostly praised for its good sandwiches so do not hesitate to grab one during your next visit!

Studying is not designed to be a fun activity, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find ways to make the whole experience a little more enjoyable. I believe the environment in which you decide to work makes a huge difference. Hopefully this article will direct some of you to a location that will make reading textbooks and writing essays a less dreadful ordeal.

Annabelle is a wine enthusiast who is currently completing her undergrad diploma in Communication studies. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she is basically being a super boss and handling five other hats: radio show host, a social media content creator, event planner and youth parish leader. All of that is possible because half of her blood type if Caffeine+
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.