Finding that Halloween Costume – Easy Go-To’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Halloween a month away, and for all of you planning to dress up, it means the clock is ticking to prepare for your awesome costume. It can be hard to find an interesting, fun costume, especially if you leave it last minute. So if you want to go all out this Halloween—whether you’re going out to a party, or just staying in, watching Halloween Town—here are some original ideas to insure you’re one-of-a-kind.

1. Group Costumes

Sometimes, “one-of-a-kind” can include your whole friend group (or at least, some of them). Try finding an iconic trio, or girl squad, and dress up as them. One year, my friends and I dressed up as “the plastics” from Mean Girls—I got to be the “Ex-Wife”—and the best compliment was a girl’s scream of excitement when she recognized Regina George. She even drunkenly asked for a picture that I unfortunately don’t have a copy of.

You can also try to be The Plastics in their iconic Christmas performance attire, or bring back the 90s with the Spice Girls.

If you want to go in another direction, and be more in the Halloween theme, try out the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus. The Scooby-Doo gang is another group costume idea you can try out!

2. The Gory Stuff

What makes Halloween so much fun is that for one night, we can be as extra as we want, and transform ourselves into gross, creepy creatures without being judged. If gore is what you want, there are plenty of things you can take and give them a twist.

For example, instead of being just Snow White, be Poisoned Snow White. Or if you’re tired of cute Little Red Riding Hood, give her a gash across the face from an angry wolf.

You can also take the classic zombie look, but give it a story or background. Take your favourite character and set them in a zombie apocalypse. You can have a princess zombie, a Dorothy from Oz zombie, Alice in Wonderland zombie, even a cat zombie?

3. Characters

If themed, group, or gory costumes are not your thing, single costumes can be out there too. You can take any show, movie, or book character and turn yourself into them. If you want creepy, you can pick from American Horror Story.

If you prefer something light, and maybe funny, I suggest Dwight Schrute from The Office. If you are a fan of the show, maybe even Goldenface would be a good one—though you might have to explain the costume.

Another good character to imitate is Rachel Green from Friends and her many cute, 90’s outfits, or maybe Ross’ Armadillo costume? Characters are fun, because when else will you have the excuse to dress up like your favourite protagonist, or even villain.

Costume picking can be intimidating if you find yourself drawing a blank, but if you look outside the box, it might be even more fun to dress up. And if you don’t feel like going out, don’t hesitate to cake on that gory makeup, or put on that Rachel wig, and watch your favourite Halloween movie!

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.