Culture Weekend 2016: A Celebration of Diversity You Cannot Miss!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The Concordia Caribbean Student Union (CCSU) has its biggest event coming up Nov. 11. The CCSU Culture Weekend is a 15-year-old Concordian tradition, which allows students to experience a new culture and network with other guests. Around 300 students from outside of Montreal are expected to join the celebration of culture. 

“Concordia Caribbean Students Union welcomes you to a weekend full of cultural events.”  said Jody Philogene, CCSU’s president. “See you all there!”

There will be a talent show to display Caribbean artists, a conference where entrepreneurs will share their experiences leaving their hometowns and how they made a living for themselves in Canada, a Cloud 9 pyjama party and a glow in the dark party. Cloud 9 will feature Caribbean music such as reggae, some hip hop, dance hall and soca. The glow in the dark party will be a party full of glow sticks with bracelets coloured according to your romantic status; red glow sticks to identify singles, blue for those who are taken.  

DJ CAZ and DJ Serius will be at the event and sharing their music with the crowd. 

“I feel honoured and excited to play at Culture Weekend, a time where everyone can embrace and connect to their culture through music!” said DJ CAZ. 

The event is titled “Heritage” since it focuses on connecting students to their culture and experiencing it a new, fun way. It also allows students to meet other people from across Canada and the U.S. who are interested in the culture. The goal of the event is to spark pride amongst the Concordia community. 

For tickets and more information visit the CCSU Facebook page

Jessica Coe

Concordia CA

Jessica Coe is an English Literature student at Concordia University who is often found with her nose in a book when she isn't in class or at work. She hopes to work for a book publishing company, ideally as an author but if that isn't written in the stars, she will gladly be an editor. When she isn't reading or writing she is most likely binge-watching her latest obsession on Netflix, with friends or family, or going for walks with her dog. Follow her Tumblr to see some of her more personal and creative works!
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.