This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I am constantly on the lookout for the ideal study spot. For me, this always happens to be in a coffee shop as I need to have bottomless caffeine to fuel my studying. The library just cannot fulfill that wish. Last month, while studying for finals, a friend invited me to check out Anticafe in the Old Port. I had heard of Anticafe before, and was always intrigued by the concept. Basically, you pay by the hour and during that time you get unlimited snacks, coffee, and tea.

Upon entering Anticafe, I already felt welcomed. The first thing I noticed was how quiet and peaceful the atmosphere was. At the entrance, there’s a space to exchange your shoes for a pair of slippers, which made it feel like I was entering someone’s house. The decorations and setup of the cafe itself was very cozy. With exposed brick, an added second level that resembled a treehouse, and bookshelves everywhere, I felt like I was in a friend’s very trendy apartment. My friend and I set our stuff down and went to the kitchen to order chai lattes. The kitchen was open for anyone to use, yet there was a barista there to make lattes and drinks as well. There were snacks like popcorn, bagels, chips, toasts, fruit, and more. These are included in your hourly price and you can take as many as you want to fuel your study session. I had some popcorn and later made a cup of earl gray tea.

As I mentioned, the cafe felt like a home away from home. The employees were kind and welcoming. The general atmosphere was quiet yet there was light chatter among the other customers. The price is unbeatable as well. I normally pay up to $5 for a latte. At Anticafe, it is $3 per hour, and if you stay over four hours, it is $10. So, you never pay more than $10. Considering you get unlimited snacks and drinks during this time, it is an incredible deal compared to other cafes. It was a perfect place to camp out and study on a cold and snowy day.

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •