This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Booklovers have been known to go through a reading slump from time to time. Trying to find a book that grabs your attention is quite challenging. Sometimes, it’s just easier to turn on your TV, slump on your couch in your comfiest pyjamas and indulge in your favourite show. One fun way to get back in the saddle is to find a book based on your current TV show obsession. Here’s a list of some of our beloved TV series and book recommendations to go along with them. If you liked any of these shows, make sure to check out the books below!

If you liked The Haunting of Bly Manor, you should read Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Looking for an edge-of-your-seat thriller to read on a Friday night? Then Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s Mexican Gothic is the choice for you. Set in 1950’s Mexico, debutante Noemi sets off for the countryside house of High Place, where her cousin has just married a mysterious Englishman and learns that her cousin is convinced that her new home will be Catalina’s doom. Noemi finds High Place both terrifying and alluring. With the help of the family’s youngest son, she sets about unearthing the home’s darkest secrets. Although Mexican Gothic is set in a different era, it still has that scare factor, chilling atmosphere, and spooky house found in The Haunting of Bly Manor.

If you liked The Haunting of Hill House, you should read Home Before Dark by Riley Sager

If you loved the creepiness and mind games in Netflix’s horror series The Haunting of Hill House, then you will love Home Before Dark by Riley Sager. Maggie’s family fled their house 25 years ago, and her father made a fortune by writing a book about how it was haunted. Once he dies, she inherits the house and decides to move in, to fix it up and sell it,, only to discover that maybe her dad was not lying after all. The book itself goes back and forth between Maggie’s present-day and the book her dad wrote to offer readers an immersive experience. With an eerie atmosphere, Home Before Dark by Riley Sager is perfect for fans of heart-pounding stories of suspense and intrigue found in The Haunting of Hill House.

If you liked Scandal, you should read The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Missing Olivia Pope with her fierce attitude and her gladiators? Let The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes try to fill that void for you. Just like the hit Shondaland TV show, the book takes place in Washington, D.C., where Tess Kendricks relocates with her estranged sister, who spends her days fixing problems for the Capitol elite. Where Tess unwittingly finds herself getting pulled into a world ruled by power and politics. While it was often described as a political drama, Scandal was also about Olivia Pope–one of the most beloved and complex female protagonists to have graced our TV screens. Tess Kendricks takes up a strong but flawed heroine, mixing the best of Olivia Pope and teen sleuth Veronica Mars. Clever dialogue, political intrigue, and a dash of mystery make this an excellent great read for Scandal fans.

If you liked Stranger Things, you should read Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand

Monsters? Check. Lost sleep? Check. Groups of teenagers teaming up to defeat a supernatural evil? Definitely check. Sawkill Girls is set on the island of Sawkill Rock, where girls have gone missing for decades. Marian, Zoey, and Val all come from different situations, but they end up working together to figure out the secrets that have been haunting the island’s dark forests. Like Stranger Things, Claire Legrand’s Sawkill Girls is terrifying, but it also does not sacrifice characters for horror elements. Readers will become equally  attached to Marian, Zoey, and Val, attached to the gang in Stranger Things.

If you liked Succession, you should read The Darlings by Cristina Alger

Like Succession, The Darlings by Cristina Alger will make you feel much better about your own–most likely low stakes family drama. Attorney Paul Ross has married into the billionaire financier Darling family, reaping the glamourous benefits of being the legal team’s head at his father-in-law’s hedge fund. But when a sudden tragedy triggers a huge financial investigation, Paul must decide between his family and himself. Taking place throughout a Thanksgiving weekend in New York City, The Darlings offers a thrilling peek into the lives of the wealthy and powerful that you will not want to miss.

Jennie Lin

Concordia CA '23

Jennie is a twenty-something Political Science student at Concordia University, hoping to pursue a Masters in Public Policy and Public Administration. She enjoys early morning runs, hiking with friends, and reading—especially steamy romance novels (Bridgerton, anyone?). Originally from Taiwan, Jennie moved to Canada when she was seven years old, and has been here ever since. She dreams of becoming a political columnist or commentator and travelling the world.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.