Black Girl Magic – Concordia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

“Black girl magic” is making its way around the globe. The term was coined by CaShawn Thompson in 2013, and grew into a social movement created for the empowerment and celebration of black girls and women worldwide. Not only is it present in Hollywood and the frontlines of the political scene, but it is present in our own community.

1. Chelsy Monie

Founder of Ubuntu Talks

“I created Ubuntu Talks (Youtube Channel) in the Spring of 2015 as a platform where black people could talk about their experiences.  Oftentimes, the media represents ‘blackness’ as one uniform experience. I strive to show that it’s the complete opposite – there are so many different identities and layers that come with the color of my skin.”

2. Sophia Sahrane

Founder of Black Indigenous Peoples of Canada Committee

“I created the BIPOC committee because I am a part of an organization (Academic Affairs & Advocacy Coordinator of Concordia Caribbean Student Union) that has so many resources that help and support so many people and groups. Unfortunately, these resources are not as accessible to individuals of the BIPOC community. [BIPOC] supports projects, events, and initiatives for and by BIPOC individuals. [It’s] to support marginalized groups and individuals in their projects the way I wish I had my projects supported before I held my position at the CSU, and the way these projects should be supported but aren’t!”

3. Ann Kim Lineus

Co-founder of #NoValentineProject

“The No Valentine Project is a project I’ve had in mind for a few years now but never gained the confidence to dive in and start it. The project works towards sexual empowerment for female identifying people of colour through the creation of creative safe havens such as beauty tutorials, panels and discussions from people in different communities in collaboration with different community organizations.”

4. Afoali Ngwakum

Youtube vlogger and co-founder of Aspiring to be Better People

“I have always strongly believed that our will to do things is limitless if we choose to stand in our power. It’s all a choice followed by action. It’s simple to say yet hard to do. But once I decided that I wanted to become more than just another person with a nine to five, every day has been a step in my journey to becoming the better person that I aspire to be, and to having a positive impact on those around me in any way possible. By “any way” I mean anything from something as small as smiling at a stranger on the street, to buying books for children who couldn’t afford them otherwise”

5. Emmy Landre

Founder of Concordia Music Zone Out

“I have always loved music. It is something that brings people closer together and allows us to share experiences and emotions with each other. CMZO was created because we wanted Concordia students to have a free place where there would be able to express themselves fully though music, with the help of music. A place to connect with others that share a mutual passion. Our cyphers every second Fridays are perfect examples of that non-judgmental sharing space.”

D'Ante Hanna

Concordia CA

My name is D'Ante Hanna, I was born and raised in Nassau,Bahamas. I am 22 years old and currently studying Political Science at Concordia University in Montreal Quebec.I moved to Canada a little over two years ago and hope to make this my permanent home. I hope to one day become a news anchor for a major broadcasting company and make a difference in the world. I love volunteering and traveling. Writing comes naturally to me, being a very critical thinker it allows me to express my creativity in a functional and soothing way. Not only do I love to write but I also love reading and public speaking, I hope to one day become a best selling author. A quote that I live by is "The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”– Ayn Rand.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.