Best Concordia Services to Help You Succeed This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

With the winter semester in full swing, you may have a lot of responsibilities on your plate. The beginning of the semester is often overwhelming. Luckily, Concordia offers a myriad of services and programs that exist solely for you! Whether your goals involve academic success, meeting more friends, or adjusting to Montreal, there is most likely a program or service that can assist you. If this is your first semester, or your final year, one of these services will surely help you succeed.

1. Career and Planning Services

Have no idea what you want to do after graduation? Do you have a goal but have no clue how to get there? Career and Planning Services (CAPS) can help you with that! With CAPS, you can meet with a career counsellor who can guide you towards different career paths and help you reach your goals. They also offer a Career Resource Centre with many resources on careers, and graduate school. I have borrowed LSAT books for absolutely no cost, which is great considering the hefty price of those books on their own!

2. French and English Conversation Groups

When you learn another language, it can be daunting to use your skills in real life settings. The Student Success Centre offers conversation groups in French and English so you can have conversations with other students who may be around the same level as you. This can help build confidence so you can start using French and English in everyday life and have the skills to enter the workforce in Quebec or Canada!

3. Math and Writing Assistance

Do you struggle in your math classes? Or while writing essays in either French or English? If so, the Student Success Centre’s Learning Services offers one-on-one appointments to help with your math and writing skills. The Writing Centre has both drop-in and appointment hours, while math help is only available by appointment.

4. Welcome Crew Mentors

If you’re new to university or to Montreal, you might feel a little lost. Luckily, Concordia offers a mentor program for first-year students. Welcome Crew Mentors are available to help you in all areas, from academics to adjusting to Montreal. You can even request to be paired with a mentor who will be there throughout your first year to help guide you and answer any questions!

5. International Students Office

Whether you’re from the south of the border or halfway across the world, adjusting to Montreal can be difficult. The International Students Office (ISO) is helpful in so many ways, from sorting out work and study permits, to navigating health insurance, to helping you make new friends! The ISO also runs many workshops and events throughout the semester for both informational and social purposes.

6. Le Gym

Part of being a good student involves taking care of yourself physically. Le Gym offers many fitness classes for a reasonable price! They offer classes like yoga, spinning, dance, martial arts, and zumba.

Concordia offers many services to help you succeed academically! Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone this semester and do what is best for you as a student.

Edited by: Juliet Booker

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •