The Best Brunch in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

When I first visited my parents’ place in Brooklyn, I knew very little about the neighbourhood I was staying in, and not much about New York either. I didn’t think Brooklyn was the place to be (thanks, Gossip Girl) and figured I should be trying to get to Manhattan every chance I got. Nowadays, though, when I visit, I find myself staying in Williamsburg for a whole week before even thinking about taking the train into the city. It didn’t take me long to realize, too, that the brunch scene in Williamsburg is equally as good as it is across the water. With reading week (or a grad trip) right around the corner, here are a few of my favourite places to get brunch in Williamsburg. Even if you’re staying in Manhattan—and even if you don’t like brunch—be sure to take a trip across the bridge and make a day out of Williamsburg.

Image by Lily Tremblay

Sunday in Brooklyn—348 Wythe Ave.

I ran into a picture of Sunday in Brooklyn’s pancakes on Instagram and was sold right away. I headed there that following weekend without even looking at the menu beforehand (something I never don’t do). The pancakes in question turned out to be malted pancakes with hazelnut maple praline and brown butter, and are by far the best I’ve ever had. Even if you don’t usually tend to order pancakes, you’ll freak out after tasting these. I also had the cheddar scramble with their Long Island Home Fries, which quickly became my favourite hash browns of all time. I crave them all the way from Montreal. What I also like about this breakfast/brunch/dinner spot is that their menu includes healthy options, despite the decadent pancakes. They have four different kinds of fresh cold-pressed juices, a simple, light chia bowl, and an incredible quinoa & lentil plate. Whether you want to indulge or stay on your clean eating game, Sunday in Brooklyn’s got you covered.

Image by Lily Tremblay

Five Leaves— 18 Bedford Ave.

I didn’t get to Five Leaves until my third or fourth time in New York. I walked by it tons of times since I’m always in the area, but the lineup is always almost two blocks long (it’s a little over-hyped in my opinion). I’ve only ever eaten here first thing in the morning for an early breakfast, because if you show up at actual brunch time, you’ll wait a good 45 minutes for a table. But, their ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter—yes, more pancakes—make getting out of bed to beat the lineup worth it. If you’d rather have something savoury, their sage scrambled egg sandwich with spicy tomato jam is also super flavourful.

Image by Lily Tremblay

Café Colette— 79 Berry St.

I tend to find myself at Café Colette more for the space than for the food. Don’t get me wrong, the food is incredible, but the space is what’s really unique. When I want a less crowded and more relaxing brunch, I’ll head to this cafe and sit in what I call their greenhouse room. The antique bar in the main dining room is really inviting, too, but if you go down a little hallway, you end up in a secluded little room with an abundance of natural light. The brick walls are covered in a distressed, washed-out baby blue wallpaper. There’s a skylight and a tree growing in the middle of the room with vines and greenery everywhere. It’s like your own private indoor garden. The setting feels even more secluded and intimate at night!

Image by Lily Tremblay

Image by Lily Tremblay

Edited by Amanda Cloutier-Santos 

Lily Tremblay

Concordia CA '20

Lily Tremblay lived in Vancouver for 10 years before returning to her hometown of Montreal to begin her studies at Concordia University. She is majoring in English Literature with a minor in Professional Writing, and this winter is her first semester as a contributor of Her Campus!
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •